Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Chris A. Epler

Default Trouble starting new Husqvarna 350 chainsaw

I picked up a new Husqvarna 340 over the weekend and have been unable
to start it, I returned it and picked up a 350 thinking the 340 I had
may have had a problem but I'm still having problems on the 350 as
well.

Has anyone had problems with their first start on these chainsaws?
I've tried almost everything I can think of (I'll try carb cleaner and
starting fluid tomorrow) to no avail. Choke engaged, checked plug
gap, checked for spark, pulled the plug and let it sit for a couple
hours to try to dry out cylinder if flooded, tried w/o choke, w/choke,
with throttle, decompression valve open/closed...just about every
combination I can think of. The fuel is new 87 octane mixed with 2
cycle oil in the appropriate amount.

Any ideas? I think the starter fluid after a carb clean are my last
chances at getting it started and maybe a new plug in case I'm not
getting a GOOD spark..

Very frustrating, and VERY tiring yanking on that start cord for 3
days...uhgh!
Old 04-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Play4aBuck

Just a wild guess but is there some safety feature, like a button you need
to hold in or a safety key to insert etc?

I would not use carb cleaner, that can do more damage than good.

Cheers,
Jim

.. .

Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 AM
David Hill

I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from, get them to "Show"
you how to start it, then they can fix any problem without you risking the
Warrantee

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Elizabeth

Does it have a chain brake? This is a bar that is on the top of the saw
above the top handle. Designed as a safety feature on some chainsaws, it
immediately cuts the motor in the event of a kickback or other event that
might cause you to lose your grip. It's placed so that as your hold the saw,
your hand will flip it back if the saw kicks. If your saw is so equipped, it
needs to be put in the safety position before the saw will start.
hth,

elizabeth

m...

Old 04-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Babberney

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:29:54 -0500, "Elizabeth"
wrote:

Does it have a chain brake? This is a bar that is on the top of the saw
above the top handle. Designed as a safety feature on some chainsaws, it
immediately cuts the motor in the event of a kickback or other event that
might cause you to lose your grip. It's placed so that as your hold the saw,
your hand will flip it back if the saw kicks. If your saw is so equipped, it
needs to be put in the safety position before the saw will start.
hth,

No, the chain brake (mandated on ALL new saws in this country and most
others) stops the chain. A well-tuned saw will continue to run with
the brake engaged. Most pros I know use the chain brake like a
parking brake: if you are not cutting something, hit the chain brake
to make sure you don't accidentally cut something you value.

I'm with the post that said take it to where you bought it. This
sounds like it may be a carb adjustment problem. And speaking of
carb, DON'T use starter fluid--you mix that oil into your fuel for a
reason, and starter fluid won't have it.

One other possibility is that you're defeating the choke. If this is
a new saw, it has a two-step switch (besides off). You pull it all
the way back (up, down, as the case may be) and you're in full choke.
Pull till you hear the first pop of fuel firing. Then you push
forward one notch to into "on" mode and it should start in a couple
of pulls. Alternatively, pulling the throttle will automatically jump
it to non-choke mode, so if you are trying to start with choke on and
throttle down, that would be the problem. Husky saws are notoriously
cold-natured at startup, but you shouldn't have this much trouble.
Again, your best bet is to get a saw shop to start it to make sure
it's adjusted correctly.

good luck,

keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Old 04-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Chris A. Epler

"Elizabeth" wrote in message news:ZumDa.783$2A2.83@lakeread05...
Does it have a chain brake? This is a bar that is on the top of the saw
above the top handle. Designed as a safety feature on some chainsaws, it
immediately cuts the motor in the event of a kickback or other event that
might cause you to lose your grip. It's placed so that as your hold the saw,
your hand will flip it back if the saw kicks. If your saw is so equipped, it
needs to be put in the safety position before the saw will start.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but as I seem to recall the
manual instructs you to engage the brake for starting. I don't
believe that the brake on this saw shorts out the spark plug.

There is a 'STOP' switch but this is set to the 'run' position. It's
set to the 'run' position when you pull the choke engage lever.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Steve Touchstone

On 3 Jun 2003 22:05:45 -0700, (Chris A. Epler) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a trip back to the dealer is in order. (I'm assuming that
you have read the mannual after all this trouble, and there is no
safety switch you might have missed).

From your post, I have no idea where you bought it, but in my
experience the big chain stores (lowes, home depot, etc, are more apt
to sell you the product in the box, while the small, locally owned
stores are a lot more helpful. Our local Ace Hardware store is a
family owned business, and before you take a product home they offer
to take it out of the box and make sure it's running properly. Just
one reason why I'm willing to pay a little more to buy from them.
--
Steve Touchstone
email

home page
Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Jeff Hancock

Buy a Stihl! ;-) Mine is 10 years old and sat for 18 months in the case in
the barn. Filled the bar lube and fuel tank with new stuff and started
right up on the 3rd pull!

Good Luck!

Jeff

Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Chris A. Epler

"Jeff Hancock" wrote in message news:hTwDa.1575$2A2.219@lakeread05...
Buy a Stihl! ;-) Mine is 10 years old and sat for 18 months in the case in
the barn. Filled the bar lube and fuel tank with new stuff and started
right up on the 3rd pull!

I gave up tonight after trying some starter fluid and countless more
pulls. Nothing. We went to Home Depot and I picked up a little Echo
33CC which looks like a good match for our needs. Most of what we'll
end up cutting will be thick branches and small trees, 4-6" thick
probably. The Echo has a 16" bar which is plenty, 33CC should handle
that thickness with no problem and the saw is a little smaller and
lighter, has a primer bulb and included a hard case.

Oh and get this, STARTED ON THIRD PULL! Man, you have no idea how
estatic I was when I heard that engine hum to life! After 3-4 days
yanking on the Husqvarna's start cord I thought my arm was going to
fall off or I'd develop a noticably larger muscle on that upper
arm...*rub*

I sincerely hope this was just a bad batch of saws that Lowes got in
and that this isn't representative of their quality. Hopefully this
little Echo will last and work well for me.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Nonya

You may also want to check that the throttle is slightly engaged....some
have a detent that you lock the throttle into when starting. Just look at it
as an aerobic workout Good luck,
Scott

Old 12-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Registered User

I know that husqvarna is supposed to be a good moachine.
But their functionality sucks. Nothing is labeld at all and they are very hard to start. I will go with another brand for now on and do everything in my power to discourage others from using any of their products. Their web site is of little or no use.