Old 05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
susabean

Default argh!

I planted a shade garden along side of a fence line. My neighbor has quite
a row of tall bridal wreath or some such flowering shrub that has been there
forever....so I planted the area underneath with columbine, lariope, small
daisies, a purple yarrow, and lady's mantle.

Well, he hard pruned his bushes. :/ Which they needed, and which I don't
have a problem with, since they are indeed his bushes, but that leaves my
shade garden with decidedly *less* shade!

My question is.....do I need to move the columbine and lady's mantle, or can
they tolerate sun? they begin getting sun at about 11-12, and then they are
in pretty full sun until about 2 or 3.

Thanks,
Tammy
*who shoulda coordinated with said neighbor before planting!!!!*

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

---

Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Ali

Hi Tammy,

I don't know about the lady's mantle, but in our front garden which gets
quite a bit of sun, we've got three or four different columbines (which
showed up from the backyard mix just because they felt like it) and they're
doing just fine, and have since they started.

Ali

Old 05-06-2003, 06:32 PM
SugarChile

You don't say where you live--midday sun in Texas is quite a different
thing than full sun in Maine. At any rate, my columbines and lady's mantle
do well with that amount of sun as long as they get a reasonable amount of
water.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Ann

"susabean" expounded:

My question is.....do I need to move the columbine and lady's mantle, or can
they tolerate sun? they begin getting sun at about 11-12, and then they are
in pretty full sun until about 2 or 3.

Provided they get enough moisture, they'll both do fine with
considerable sun. Mine are in full sun and grow beautifully.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 AM
susabean

Thanks, everyone. I think I will leave the garden alone for a bit and see
how it does. Being as it's RAINED almost every day since April, I don't
think that there's much danger of the plants being sunburned.......:/

Thank you for the feedback.

Blessings,
Tammy

Old 06-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:48:33 -0500, Mark Anderson
wrote:

In article says...
My question is.....do I need to move the columbine and lady's mantle, or can
they tolerate sun? they begin getting sun at about 11-12, and then they are
in pretty full sun until about 2 or 3.

Many years ago I planted columbine from seed. Although my garden has a
northern exposure, for the first few years it got some sun and the
columbine held it's ground and made advances against the wildflowers.
Over the years, Rose of Sharon and my trees grew significantly shading
the area and the columbine thinned out dramatically. Once a strong
plant, now it skulks around trying to find a spot. This year it found a
little open area and decided to bloom. So I would think that a little
sun like you have would be good for them.

See my columbine (only bloom this year) at:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/columbine.jpg

How pretty! I love columbines, 'though mine died out, too. Too shady,
I think.

Conditions change. My neighbor very carefully cultured
semi-shade-loving plants to accomodate a giant old streetside oak that
crashed spectacularly in a storm (fortunately falling without damaging
homes or cars). Some things did better with more light; a few, less
well. Most gardens aren't static.

For the OP, like treating before the disease or pest appears, you
might leave everything in place (the bridal wreath will regrow) and
see what happens.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:21 AM

my ladys mantle is in full sun (zone 5) and did so well I had to yank most of em out
as they were taking over the whole garden. Ingrid

"susabean" wrote:

I planted a shade garden along side of a fence line. My neighbor has quite
a row of tall bridal wreath or some such flowering shrub that has been there
forever....so I planted the area underneath with columbine, lariope, small
daisies, a purple yarrow, and lady's mantle.

Well, he hard pruned his bushes. :/ Which they needed, and which I don't
have a problem with, since they are indeed his bushes, but that leaves my
shade garden with decidedly *less* shade!

My question is.....do I need to move the columbine and lady's mantle, or can
they tolerate sun? they begin getting sun at about 11-12, and then they are
in pretty full sun until about 2 or 3.

Thanks,
Tammy
*who shoulda coordinated with said neighbor before planting!!!!*

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.