Old 02-08-2003, 05:12 AM
NewsUser

Default D****d Drip Hoses! ARGH!

After letting the water run over an hour and finding the soil around the
hose almost dry as a bone, once again I find that the stupid end cap worked
its way off the hose! Every single one of these drip hoses I've laid out has
popped the end cap. I swear there must be a mole twisting them off. Now I've
got a humongous hole under the compost where the water poured out the end.
Man this ****es me off!!!

karen

Old 02-08-2003, 07:42 AM
paghat

In article , "NewsUser"
wrote:

After letting the water run over an hour and finding the soil around the
hose almost dry as a bone, once again I find that the stupid end cap worked
its way off the hose! Every single one of these drip hoses I've laid out has
popped the end cap. I swear there must be a mole twisting them off. Now I've
got a humongous hole under the compost where the water poured out the end.
Man this ****es me off!!!

karen

Never buy a hose, sprinkler hose, or soaker hose that has plastic rather
than brass at both ends.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 02-08-2003, 08:32 AM
David Hill

If your hose is flexible then why not just fold the end back over on itself
and wire it down

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Pam

NewsUser wrote:

After letting the water run over an hour and finding the soil around the
hose almost dry as a bone, once again I find that the stupid end cap worked
its way off the hose! Every single one of these drip hoses I've laid out has
popped the end cap. I swear there must be a mole twisting them off. Now I've
got a humongous hole under the compost where the water poured out the end.
Man this ****es me off!!!

karen

Sounds like the water pressure was too high. You might want to consider
investing in a pressure regulator that attaches to your hose bib. Soaker and
drip systems need very low water pressure to be efficient. Unfortunately, that
also means they need to be used in very short runs, so that adequate pressure is
maintained along the length.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Beecrofter

"NewsUser" wrote in message ...
After letting the water run over an hour and finding the soil around the
hose almost dry as a bone, once again I find that the stupid end cap worked
its way off the hose! Every single one of these drip hoses I've laid out has
popped the end cap. I swear there must be a mole twisting them off. Now I've
got a humongous hole under the compost where the water poured out the end.
Man this ****es me off!!!

karen

Sounds to me like you skipped the pressure reducer needed for drip
systems or got one that is stuck open.
Most run 20lbs ,plastic ones are about 6.00 US.
Most house pressure is in excess of 40psi

Because I use google this message might take days to be posted

Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 PM

yep. water pressure too high. I just have a turn off valve between the soaker and
my timer and cut the pressure back that way. works great. Ingrid

Pam wrote:
Sounds like the water pressure was too high. You might want to consider
investing in a pressure regulator that attaches to your hose bib. Soaker and
drip systems need very low water pressure to be efficient. Unfortunately, that
also means they need to be used in very short runs, so that adequate pressure is
maintained along the length.

pam - gardengal

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Warren

Pam wrote:

Sounds like the water pressure was too high. You might want to

consider
investing in a pressure regulator that attaches to your hose bib.

Soaker and
drip systems need very low water pressure to be efficient.

Unfortunately, that
also means they need to be used in very short runs, so that adequate

pressure is
maintained along the length.

I'd agree. But I'm not sure what kind of watering system the original
poster is talking about.

If it's a soaker hose, the water pressure should be *very* low. The
round ones that weep water *usually* instead of having a plain O-ring
washer have a disk with a small hole in it on the end you connect to the
water. If that disk is in, even if you take off the end cap on the other
end, you'll hardly see any water coming out. Certainly not enough to
erode a hole as the OP described. And you'll still get water weeping out
of the length of the hose even with the end cap off.

If we're talking about the flat "soaker" hoses with the pinholes spaced
along the top of the hose, you'll notice right away if the end of the
hose is gone because you won't see the spray coming up from them. (Most
of these hoses don't even have removable end caps.) If you're turning
this hose upside-down so the holes face down, the spray from the
pinholes will cut into the soil. I also can't imagine that anyone would
call these "drip hoses."

In the drip irrigation systems I've seen, the hoses don't have "screw
on" end caps. You simply fold the end over itself, and slide on a sleeve
that keeps the hose folded. If the water pressure is too high, it's more
likely that the emitters will blow off, or leaks will occur around the
places they're tapped into the tubing. The end sleeve isn't likely to be
forced off.

So since the poster speaks of "drip" and an end cap that can be screwed
on, I'm going to guess that we're really talking about a soaker hose
that the pressure regulating disk has been removed, and the pressure is
just too high.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 02-08-2003, 07:42 PM
NewsUser

"Warren" wrote in message
et...

So since the poster speaks of "drip" and an end cap that can be screwed
on, I'm going to guess that we're really talking about a soaker hose
that the pressure regulating disk has been removed, and the pressure is
just too high.

--

That's it Warren. Those disks are not there. Think I'll try folding the end
of the hose over itself. Thanks everyone!

Karen

Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Dwight Sipler

paghat wrote:

...Never buy a hose, sprinkler hose, or soaker hose that has plastic rather
than brass at both ends...

Most of the soaker hoses I've seen (I haven't looked at them in some
time now, since I use other types of drip irrigation) have cheap
fittings. The regular hoses also have them. They are basically thin
steel with a light brass coating to make them look like brass fittings.
Virtually all the ones I have had have rotted away in a few years. Not
completely, just enough to leak a little more than I consider acceptable
(on a soaker hose, a little extra water leak won't hurt). The flat
soaker hoses are basically unrepairable at that point. The round ones
can be repaired using the cheap plastic repair fittings. I have found
that these repair fittings last much longer than the steel fittings or
even the normal plastic fittings on hoses. Consequently, a lot of my
hoses (regular type) have plastic repair fittings on them. (Of course
part of that is due to mowing hoses that get buried in weeds and things
like that. I also find a need for an occasional 4' section of hose for
the irrigation lines.)

[IMG] code is On

soaker hoses v/s drip irrigation, [email protected] Texas 7 16-02-2009 11:16 AM
Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
argh! susabean Gardening 8 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
Can You Bury Drip-Line Hoses? Fleemo Gardening 12 04-06-2003 09:08 AM
Different Drip Rates in Soaker Hoses? Fleemo Gardening 3 28-03-2003 10:56 PM