Old 08-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Jane

Default Rugosa Rose

Thanks for your thoughts on bindweed - a little depressing for sure because
whatever I do there is an endless supply next door.

About the rugosa roses. All the canes are dead. There is no new growth on
the canes. However, there is growth at the base of the plant. I was
prepared to prune but was reading on rugosas last night and learned that you
shouldn't have to prune rugosas. I wonder if the farmer might have sprayed
something that has killed the tops of the plant and trying to keep them
going in that location is a losing proposition. It was also a severe winter
here in southern Ontario (zone 5) but my understanding is that these should
be very hardy. Any ideas?

Jane

Old 08-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Cathy

Hiya Jane
I cut mine down to ground level last fall. I had a drought here in New
Jersey and alot was lost. They are up and running again.

Enjoy
Cathy

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,

Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Fred

Cut it off at base.Leave new growth.Have around 50 rugosas.Lose a couple
each year. They grow back.
"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Rosa Rugosa Japenese Rose Kate Morgan United Kingdom 17 20-05-2009 05:31 PM
Another happy rugosa in zone 8b, and other drivel Mark. Gooley Roses 8 30-08-2003 01:22 AM
rosa rugosa Nelson Kirsch Gardening 4 25-06-2003 09:32 AM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 12:32 PM
Rugosa Roses and Sweet peas mmarteen Gardening 1 17-04-2003 10:32 PM