Old 10-06-2003, 06:44 PM
James MacDone

Default Rose of Sharon question

Could I have my 'Rose of Sharon' in a big pot? I would like to have it on my balcony for the spring and summer and bring it inside
my apartment for the winter.

James

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old 10-06-2003, 08:32 PM
V_coerulea

Yes you could have your Rose of Sharon in a big pot, but it needs a cold
winter rest. Depending where you live, I'd leave it outside for winter with
some protection and move it where I'd like in the spring. Inside, no way.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:34:18 -0400, "James MacDone"
wrote:

Could I have my 'Rose of Sharon' in a big pot? I would like to have it on my balcony for the spring and summer and bring it inside
my apartment for the winter.

James

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

There are various varieties of rose of sharon. I have some that drop
all their leaves, and another that loses everything including stems.
It needs some cold temperatures to do well, but don't let the pot
freeze solid or you will kill the palnt. I'd probably bring it in
when day temperatures drop below freezing, and then I'd put it in the
garage.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 AM
gregpresley

Yes, if you leave it in a pot, and your Dec Jan Feb days average below
freezing, put the pot in an UNheated garage, or very cool basement - it
needs a cool winter, not a heated-house winter. . Bring it outside again in
early March. It wouldn't be the cold weather that would kill it (ROS is very
hardy), but the thawing and freezing of the soil might tear the roots to
shreds.
It needs some cold temperatures to do well, but don't let the pot
freeze solid or you will kill the palnt. I'd probably bring it in
when day temperatures drop below freezing, and then I'd put it in the
garage.

[IMG] code is On

propagating Rose of Sharon Neil Gardening 6 02-06-2003 11:56 AM
[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? Bob Bugay Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 04:08 AM
Pruning Rose of Sharon? Natty_Dread Gardening 4 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
Rose of Sharon hugh mcmanus Roses 1 13-04-2003 03:32 AM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM