Old 13-06-2003, 02:44 PM
rudy

Default Bunnies and raised beds

My mother's house is in an area that has a large population of rabbits. I am
putting in a couple of raised beds for her, built using the 'plasticized'
lumber, two 1x6's stacked above each other.

I had planned on fencing around the raised beds to keep the bunnies out -
but I wonder, will they climb into the raised beds? Or will the height of
the smooth sides keep them out?

Any previous experience with other options for keeping rabbits away would be
appreciated.

Thanks

rudy

Old 13-06-2003, 04:44 PM
pelirojaroja

Bunnies are getting into my raised garden with no problem. The asters are
history already. My garden is about 1 1/2 feet off the ground. We have a
large population in our suburb -- lots of decks to hide under, some woods
nearby, and almost no cats or dogs running loose to keep numbers down. Some
neighbors even set out food for them. Sigh. So, yes, I think they can get
into yours. I'm looking forward to reading the responses for trying to keep
them out.

For my part, I will replant what they eat with stuff they are not eating. I
don't want to erect a fence around the ornamental garden. I would if I
wanted a vegetable garden, though.

--
-- pelirojaroja

Old 13-06-2003, 05:08 PM
SugarChile

They can happily climb/hop over 12" to get into the beds. Whether they will
or not is problematic. What are you planning on growing? They will not
usually bother tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. They will eat greens of
any sort, and they love young bean sprouts. On the other hand, if there is
lots of clover in the lawn, and other good wild foods around, they might not
bother with your plants. Hot pepper wax and/or cayenne pepper acts as a
deterrent, as do cats and dogs, but the only sure solution is fencing.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 13-06-2003, 05:20 PM
paghat

"rudy" wrote in message
My mother's house is in an area that has a large population of rabbits. I

am
putting in a couple of raised beds for her, built using the 'plasticized'
lumber, two 1x6's stacked above each other.

I had planned on fencing around the raised beds to keep the bunnies out -
but I wonder, will they climb into the raised beds? Or will the height of
the smooth sides keep them out?

You could lay a train track around the raised bed & get one of those toy
trains that go "woo woo chugga chugga" & even has a smoking smokestack.
That should keep the bunnies at a distance, though expect a couple of
squirrels to hitch a ride.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 13-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Adam Schwartz

"rudy" wrote in message
My mother's house is in an area that has a large population of rabbits. I

am
putting in a couple of raised beds for her, built using the 'plasticized'
lumber, two 1x6's stacked above each other.

I had planned on fencing around the raised beds to keep the bunnies out -
but I wonder, will they climb into the raised beds? Or will the height of
the smooth sides keep them out?

Any previous experience with other options for keeping rabbits away would

be
appreciated.

Thanks

rudy

My bunnies have cleared a 3 foot fence.
--
Adam & Desi (Humans)
Prince & Abbey (Owners)

Old 14-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"rudy" wrote:

My mother's house is in an area that has a large population of rabbits. I am
putting in a couple of raised beds for her, built using the 'plasticized'
lumber, two 1x6's stacked above each other.

I had planned on fencing around the raised beds to keep the bunnies out -
but I wonder, will they climb into the raised beds? Or will the height of
the smooth sides keep them out?

Bunnies can hop ...

Any previous experience with other options for keeping rabbits away would be
appreciated.

Make arches of PVC pipe over the beds and drape bird netting over
the arches. Weight it down with something that cna be removed
for gardening.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 15-06-2003, 06:20 PM
rudy

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A friend of mine came up with the idea of putting in an electrified wire or
two, a couple of inches above the top of the raised bed walls.Has anyone had
any experience with electric fencing keeping the bunnies away? I've only had
experience with it for horses and cattle.

Thanks

rudy

Old 18-06-2003, 05:32 AM
homer

If you go this route, try chicken wire. It's been my experience that
rabbits will chew right through most bird netting (of the plastic variety).

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
"rudy" wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Raised beds - really raised asd Edible Gardening 0 11-02-2011 03:00 AM
Raised beds - really raised Cipher[_2_] Edible Gardening 7 15-12-2010 11:48 PM
Lawn care and bunnies flowers1 Lawns 0 24-06-2010 08:21 PM
Why are raised beds raised? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 6 27-01-2009 09:15 PM
Bunnies LeeAnne Gardening 0 08-03-2004 04:48 PM