Old 17-06-2003, 03:08 PM
SBHCOM

Default crowded vegtables

Hello everyone,

I planted some vegtables this year in 4 three foot long planter boxes. I was
not sure that all the plants would make it so I kinda planted them close
together thinking I would move them once the weaker ones die. Well would'nt
you know it the are all surving. I have 4 cherry tomato plants in one box, 4
roma tomatos in another, 4 cukes and 4 green peppers in 2 other boxes.

My question is what should I lookout for? Should I provide more fertilizer
than I was planning? keep adding soil? extra water?

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick in his
mouth.
Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
MacTech

(SBHCOM) wrote in message ...
Hello everyone,

I planted some vegtables this year in 4 three foot long planter boxes. I was
not sure that all the plants would make it so I kinda planted them close
together thinking I would move them once the weaker ones die. Well would'nt
you know it the are all surving. I have 4 cherry tomato plants in one box, 4
roma tomatos in another, 4 cukes and 4 green peppers in 2 other boxes.

My question is what should I lookout for? Should I provide more fertilizer
than I was planning? keep adding soil? extra water?

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick in his
mouth.

I have that problem, too. I think some of the plants won't make it and
then they all do.

How wide are the boxes? One year I went overboard and planted a dozen
roma tomatoes in a flower bed that was five feet long by three feet
wide. They all survived — and they all produced like crazy. The plants
grew to be more than waist high on me, and I'm five feet six inches.
In a restricted space, for tomatoes anyway, I think one of the keys is
to make sure the plants receive plenty of water. Containers dry out
faster than if plants are growing in the ground, and each plant will
need a certain amount of water.

Last year I tried planting two cucumbers in a five-gallon bucket
because we ran out of room in the garden. That particular experiment
was a flop. They didn't do much of anything.

Good luck with your tomatoes, cukes and peppers.

LeAnn

Share the view from Rural Route 2. . .
http://ruralroute2.com