Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pickled Vegtables

I pickled a bunch of peppers with onions and carrots and whatever else I
could get out of the garden. I decided to try them today. I don't know if
its because I did it or not, but those are the best dang tasting peppers I
have ever had. I did it 4 different ways and I cant wait to try the next
batch but that will be a few weeks.

Old 13-08-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Aluckyguess wrote:
I pickled a bunch of peppers with onions and carrots and whatever else I
could get out of the garden. I decided to try them today. I don't know if
its because I did it or not, but those are the best dang tasting peppers I
have ever had. I did it 4 different ways and I cant wait to try the next
batch but that will be a few weeks.

Wow...never thought about pickling any of those....what methods,
seasonings, etc, did you use? what type peppers?
Old 13-08-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Aluckyguess wrote:
I pickled a bunch of peppers with onions and carrots and whatever else I
could get out of the garden. I decided to try them today. I don't know if
its because I did it or not, but those are the best dang tasting peppers I
have ever had. I did it 4 different ways and I cant wait to try the next
batch but that will be a few weeks.

Wow...never thought about pickling any of those....what methods,
seasonings, etc, did you use? what type peppers?

Your kidding, right? You never heard of gardenia antipasto, pickeled
vegetables? There must be some pisanos in N.C. somewhere. Gardenia used
to be found in grocery stores but it seems that it isn't as prevalent as
it used to be. Usually, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, bell peppers,
cocktail onions, ect.

Did you get much rain? Thanks again for the recipes.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 13-08-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Aluckyguess wrote:
I pickled a bunch of peppers with onions and carrots and whatever else I
could get out of the garden. I decided to try them today. I don't know if
its because I did it or not, but those are the best dang tasting peppers I
have ever had. I did it 4 different ways and I cant wait to try the next
batch but that will be a few weeks.

Wow...never thought about pickling any of those....what methods,
seasonings, etc, did you use? what type peppers?

Your kidding, right? You never heard of gardenia antipasto, pickeled
vegetables? There must be some pisanos in N.C. somewhere. Gardenia used
to be found in grocery stores but it seems that it isn't as prevalent as
it used to be. Usually, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, bell peppers,
cocktail onions, ect.

Did you get much rain? Thanks again for the recipes.

nope. not kidding. not seen or heard of about these parts. I've seen
pickled yellow squash with onions, but that was at a very questionable
road side stand. I'll have to look them up online I guess. In the
meantime, if anyone can give some tips......(hint, hint)

No rain here. Haven't had any measurable amount in almost 2 months now
here at the house. Can go a mile in any direction to hit the rain, but
not here at home. Hummm....must not be doing something right I guess.
Got rained out at the shrimp fest though. It takes 2 - 2&1/2 hours to
get there. Hubby was green with envy at the hay fields we saw on the
way. Bad storm right after we got there Friday evening. Saturday morning
was lovely, lots of rain saturday afternoon. We had hit the parade at
10am, then my dad took us out on the boat, then I took the girls (my sis
& her best friend, & my baby girl) back to the fest to check out the
fair stuff. Had been there about 15 minutes when we got rained out. The
"officials" called for an impromptu wet t-shirt contest. Waited for the
rain to stop for over an hour and then made the trek (about a mile) back
to the truck before we got rained on again. Hubby was mad when we got
home. The yard was still bone dry. Even just walking kicks up a dust
storm now. No lie.

No problem. Anytime. According to hubby, I have too many recipes. I'm
always snipping them out of magazines and papers, etc and saving them.
Find quite a few online too. Type them up in my spare time and save to
disk for easy cataloging and finding.

Heard anything outta Charlie lately? he must be gone into hiding....

Rae

Old 13-08-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Aluckyguess wrote:
I did it both ways.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09314.html

ok. thanks!
Old 13-08-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Aluckyguess wrote:
[...]

Hope you did us proud in the wet t-shirt contest. And thanks again for
the recipes. Ain't heard from Charlie, guess it's time to go over to the
log and see if he is still under it. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 13-08-2007, 07:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
Your kidding, right? You never heard of gardenia antipasto, pickeled
vegetables? There must be some pisanos in N.C. somewhere. Gardenia used
to be found in grocery stores but it seems that it isn't as prevalent as
it used to be. Usually, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, bell peppers,
cocktail onions, ect.

Billy is sending you looking for a flowering shrub with a wonderful perfume,
if you want pickled veges go for giardiniera.

David

Old 13-08-2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

rachael simpson expounded:

No problem. Anytime. According to hubby, I have too many recipes. I'm
always snipping them out of magazines and papers, etc and saving them.
Find quite a few online too. Type them up in my spare time and save to
disk for easy cataloging and finding.

Rae, what software are you using? I used to use Mastercook, but I
found Living Cookbook http://www.livingcookbook.com (not affiliated, I
just love the software). It's great for capturing recipes off the
internet. If I find something in print somewhere I always google the
recipe name and see if I can find it online (it's usually out there).
Then I copy and paste it into the capture window and from there it's a
breeze. If you have a chance take a look at it. In your spare time!
BSEG
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 13-08-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

[...]

Nah...I stayed outta that one. Had the baby with me, remember? We found
shelter to keep her dry while my sis & her friend did the honors of
running around in the rain. There was one drunk guy that thought he was
the "winner". That was funny. He was out there ripping his shirt and
dancing in the rain...had my sis video that on her cell. the wonders of
technology these days...

Guess you must have really liked those recipes...

APB out for Charlie!

Old 13-08-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ann wrote:
rachael simpson expounded:

No problem. Anytime. According to hubby, I have too many recipes. I'm
always snipping them out of magazines and papers, etc and saving them.
Find quite a few online too. Type them up in my spare time and save to
disk for easy cataloging and finding.

Rae, what software are you using? I used to use Mastercook, but I
found Living Cookbook http://www.livingcookbook.com (not affiliated, I
just love the software). It's great for capturing recipes off the
internet. If I find something in print somewhere I always google the
recipe name and see if I can find it online (it's usually out there).
Then I copy and paste it into the capture window and from there it's a
breeze. If you have a chance take a look at it. In your spare time!
BSEG

Thanks for the heads up. I just used what was on the comp. Microsoft
Works/Publisher. If yours is easier (ie, less time consuming), I'm going
for it! Not that publisher is all that bad...I use it for a lot of
things: wedding programs, church bulletins, business ads, etc, etc.
Old 13-08-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
Your kidding, right? You never heard of gardenia antipasto, pickeled
vegetables? There must be some pisanos in N.C. somewhere. Gardenia used
to be found in grocery stores but it seems that it isn't as prevalent as
it used to be. Usually, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, bell peppers,
cocktail onions, ect.

Billy is sending you looking for a flowering shrub with a wonderful perfume,
if you want pickled veges go for giardiniera.

David

Well, so's it's not a total loss. Thanks for the catch:-)

Old 13-08-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
Your kidding, right? You never heard of gardenia antipasto, pickeled
vegetables? There must be some pisanos in N.C. somewhere. Gardenia used
to be found in grocery stores but it seems that it isn't as prevalent as
it used to be. Usually, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, bell peppers,
cocktail onions, ect.

Billy is sending you looking for a flowering shrub with a wonderful perfume,
if you want pickled veges go for giardiniera.

David

Well, so's it's not a total loss. Thanks for the catch:-)

i was kinda wondering about that name....thanks!
Old 13-08-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
Your kidding, right? You never heard of gardenia antipasto, pickeled
vegetables? There must be some pisanos in N.C. somewhere. Gardenia used
to be found in grocery stores but it seems that it isn't as prevalent as
it used to be. Usually, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, bell peppers,
cocktail onions, ect.

Billy is sending you looking for a flowering shrub with a wonderful
perfume,
if you want pickled veges go for giardiniera.

David

Well, so's it's not a total loss. Thanks for the catch:-)

i was kinda wondering about that name....thanks!

Com'on. I have enough trouble spelling in English, French, and German.
When I see Italian, all I see is alphabet soup:-)

Old 13-08-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
Your kidding, right? You never heard of gardenia antipasto, pickeled
vegetables? There must be some pisanos in N.C. somewhere. Gardenia used
to be found in grocery stores but it seems that it isn't as prevalent as
it used to be. Usually, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, bell peppers,
cocktail onions, ect.

Billy is sending you looking for a flowering shrub with a wonderful
perfume,
if you want pickled veges go for giardiniera.

David
Well, so's it's not a total loss. Thanks for the catch:-)

i was kinda wondering about that name....thanks!

Com'on. I have enough trouble spelling in English, French, and German.
When I see Italian, all I see is alphabet soup:-)

I wasn't picking on ya too bad....lol. I was taking your word for it.
It's just that when I first read "gardenia antipasto", I did a double
take and thought..."wait a minute...that's what i have outside! how do
you pickle that?" Then I thought, "he's got to be talking about
something else!"

I have gardenia shower gel too.... smiles

Speaking of Italian....keeping it cheap & easy for supper tonight.
Spaghetti!
with toasted cheesy bread....