Old 08-06-2003, 08:56 PM
brianb

Default mulch next to house....termites

will mulch next to a house attract termites?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Dave Fouchey

On 8 Jun 2003 12:44:16 -0700, (brianb) wrote:

will mulch next to a house attract termites?

Moist rotting wood does, no mater the kind. It is also very conducive
to Carpenter Ant's taking up residence.

Dave
Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern
Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Me too.

I recently wondered the same thing. I do spray the perimeter of the house
2-3 x a summer with pesticide an Ortho product for ants and termites, seems
to work.

"brianb" wrote in message
m...
will mulch next to a house attract termites?

Old 09-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Chelsea Christenson

brianb wrote:

will mulch next to a house attract termites?

You don't want mulch within something like 12-18" of the siding. Our
building code requires a stretch of concrete above ground level before
siding begins, as a way to avoid termite problems.

Is crushed stone an option?

Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Dave Fouchey

Wish you would tell that to the ones I evicted by pulling the mulch
back ...this was in Jacksonville, they also nested quite nicely in my
hanging stag horn ferns...

Dave

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 23:47:37 GMT, Lar wrote:

In article ,
says...
Moist rotting wood does, no mater the kind. It is also very conducive
to Carpenter Ant's taking up residence.

In the form of mulch the damp rotting wood won't be the
attractant for carpenter ants, but it will be for many
other nuisance type of ants as well as earwigs,
millipedes, pill bugs and countless other critters doing
their job in nature.

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern

[IMG] code is On

I unearthed some termites in the middle of a garen project... jameson Gardening 11 26-03-2004 05:34 AM
Should I treat for Termites on the outside of my house with the Canister baiting kits Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Gardening 6 12-09-2003 10:36 PM
Termites? j647 North Carolina 2 22-07-2003 09:43 PM
Termites? j647 North Carolina 0 21-07-2003 04:19 PM
termites and moisture meters James Australia 2 10-04-2003 02:44 PM