Old 20-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Kayla

Default Potatoe plants from last year's plants

Last fall I missed digging up some potatoe plants and they are growing
this year. Will they be good potatoes to use this year or should I
dig them up and discard them. I am in Zone 5 and we had a severe
winter.

Lori

Old 20-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Dwayne

Hill up the dirt around them and let them go. You might get some good ones
from them.

Now I have a question. I planted Yukon Gold and russet potatoes in the same
row. I use a soaker hose to water them. The russets got rusty looking
leaves and are dying. I dug one or two of them up, and the roots had some
small ones on, but they were rotted from too much water. My aunt told me
that she never watered hers after planting them, about 60 years ago.

If I replant and don't water, will I have better luck, or will they die from
lack of water?

Dwayne

Old 20-06-2003, 07:32 AM
dstvns

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:38:21 GMT, Kayla wrote:

Last fall I missed digging up some potatoe plants and they are growing
this year. Will they be good potatoes to use this year or should I
dig them up and discard them. I am in Zone 5 and we had a severe

They will most assuredly be good potatoes. I usually dig them up a
few days before first freeze, so they are less starchy. Growing old
rooting potatoes is one of the easiest things to grow in a garden (and
one of the hardest to get rid of )

Dan

Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Kayla

Are you related to Dan Quayle?

You mean this Dan Quayle?

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
-- J. Danforth Quayle

Just curious, why do you ask?

Lori