Old 23-06-2003, 09:44 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Q. How to kill ants on patio?

From my patio.

I go out on my patio in the morning and it's covered with ants. They have
wings. There's no sandy ant hill type thing, it looks like they're oozing out
of one hole in the ground.

OK, I don't think they're ants, I'd say termites? But there's no wood in the
area. What should she pour down the hole to kill 'em. She has a dog that does
go outside, and two cats which under supervision, she'll allow to walk outside
and sit. She doesn't want to flood the area with chemicals, only as a last
resort.

Old 23-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Chelsea Christenson

TOM KAN PA wrote:

OK, I don't think they're ants, I'd say termites? But there's no wood in the
area. What should she pour down the hole to kill 'em.

Boiling water?

Old 23-06-2003, 10:44 PM
David Hill

Well if you were in the UK I would say certainly Ants.
At certain times you get Flying Ants, 2 sizes, the larger are females who
will fly off then when they land they will shed their wings and look for a
place to start their own colony, the smaller are males who also fly with
the females, mate in the air then that's the end of them.
When they are ready to fly, often in thundery heat in summer, you will see
masses of birds such as sea gulls feeding on the wing as the ants rise on
thermals, up to several thousand feet.
you can have clouds of them consisting of many thousands of ants.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-06-2003, 11:08 PM
John McGaw

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
From my patio.

I go out on my patio in the morning and it's covered with ants. They have
wings. There's no sandy ant hill type thing, it looks like they're oozing

out
of one hole in the ground.

OK, I don't think they're ants, I'd say termites? But there's no wood in

the
area. What should she pour down the hole to kill 'em. She has a dog that

does
go outside, and two cats which under supervision, she'll allow to walk

outside
and sit. She doesn't want to flood the area with chemicals, only as a last
resort.

You could set your pet Moloch horridus to work on them. ;-)
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old 23-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Joseph Meehan

A number if not all ant types have some flying members (they guys and
the queen) and I believe this is about the time (Spring/early summer) that
they are most likely to appear.

Take a good look at are few. Do you see two or three body parts.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

From my patio.

Old 24-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 23 Jun 2003 20:37:19 GMT, TOM KAN PA wrote:
From my patio.

I go out on my patio in the morning and it's covered with ants. They have
wings. There's no sandy ant hill type thing, it looks like they're oozing out
of one hole in the ground.

OK, I don't think they're ants, I'd say termites? But there's no wood in the

Get 'em identified, then consider an IGR like Nylar if it is ants, would be my
suggestion. No point in trying to come up with a good solution until you've
figured out what you've got, though.