Old 27-06-2003, 05:44 AM
dstvns

Default Big tree, couldn't ID leaf...need assistance

Hello,

I was walking through the woods in my backyard today, when I came upon
a very large tree, about 50-60 ft tall. From what I could see, the
leaves were "bullet-shaped", almost like an artillery shell. They
were also pretty large, maybe 8 inches to a foot long. I can't find
the ID in any of my usual sources, I was wondering if anyone could
help, thanks

Dan
nw NJ, deciduous woods, zone 5 micro
Old 27-06-2003, 06:32 AM
David J Bockman

bark characteristics? were the leaves alternate or opposite? compound,
simple, what? )

The only tree that immediately sprung to mind was Bigleaf Magnolia, Magnolia
macrophylla...

Dave

Old 28-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Duane Runnels

"dstvns" wrote in message
Hello,

I was walking through the woods in my backyard today, when I came upon
a very large tree, about 50-60 ft tall. From what I could see, the
leaves were "bullet-shaped", almost like an artillery shell. They
were also pretty large, maybe 8 inches to a foot long. I can't find
the ID in any of my usual sources, I was wondering if anyone could
help, thanks

Dan
nw NJ, deciduous woods, zone 5 micro

I would agree with the magnolia diagnosis because I couldn't find any other
tree with leaves that long. And some can grow to 70' with 18" leaves. I am
also in z5 and we have our share of magnolias here, but according to my tree
book you don't have magnolias in NJ, but maybe your magnolia doesn't know
that. Now that I think of it, I've never seen a magnolia "in the woods",
not even in the south.

Old 29-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Garden Envy

"Duane Runnels" wrote in message ...
"dstvns" wrote in message

leaves were "bullet-shaped", almost like an artillery shell. They
were also pretty large, maybe 8 inches to a foot long.
Dan
nw NJ, deciduous woods, zone 5 micro

In our woods here in S. Illinois, we have quite a few paw-paw (Asimina
triloba)that have surprisingly large leaves. They don't, however,
grow much more than 30 feet.

Matt
Garden-envy.com :: free newsletter, tip-sheets, e-courses, & more