Old 30-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Greg and Kelly Carr

Default locust tree

I had a locust tree in my backyard. We had it taken down because it was
blocking the sun to one of our favorite beech trees. The tree was removed
two years ago and we have yet to have the stump ground down. This tree was
in a lawn area. Ever since we removed the tree, during the spring and
summer, sprouts of locust shoots are everywhere. The entire root system of
the tree is apparent. I have even severed some of the roots, that were
close to the surface, and I still see these shoots and have to mow them down
(they grow quite rapidly). I am afraid that even when we remove the stump
we will have a problem with the roots. Has anyone experienced this?

Old 30-06-2003, 01:32 AM
jammer

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:23:41 -0400, "Greg and Kelly Carr"
wrote:

I had a locust tree in my backyard. We had it taken down because it was
blocking the sun to one of our favorite beech trees. The tree was removed
two years ago and we have yet to have the stump ground down. This tree was
in a lawn area. Ever since we removed the tree, during the spring and
summer, sprouts of locust shoots are everywhere. The entire root system of
the tree is apparent. I have even severed some of the roots, that were
close to the surface, and I still see these shoots and have to mow them down
(they grow quite rapidly). I am afraid that even when we remove the stump
we will have a problem with the roots. Has anyone experienced this?

yes, i don't know what kind of tree it was, though. I got a neighbor
with a chain saw type tool to carve out the trunk and plabnted flowers
in it. I just mowed the shoots once a week with the grass and a cold
winter killed them off after a couple of years.
Old 30-06-2003, 01:44 AM
jammer

wrote:

[...]

I have been corrected and thought best to pass it on. I remembered
wrong. I thought i placed decorative rocks around the stump after the
sapplings or whatever they were died, but am told i placed the rocks
there before and the sapplings never came back.
Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Greg and Kelly Carr" writes:
| I had a locust tree in my backyard. We had it taken down because it was
| blocking the sun to one of our favorite beech trees. The tree was removed
| two years ago and we have yet to have the stump ground down. This tree was
| in a lawn area. Ever since we removed the tree, during the spring and
| summer, sprouts of locust shoots are everywhere. The entire root system of
| the tree is apparent. I have even severed some of the roots, that were
| close to the surface, and I still see these shoots and have to mow them down
| (they grow quite rapidly). I am afraid that even when we remove the stump
| we will have a problem with the roots. Has anyone experienced this?

Which locust? You probably mean the false locust, Robinia
pseudoacacia, but there are several other possibilities.

If it is that, yes, it does shoot from the roots. Not as badly
as many of the sumachs, though. Removing the stump will make
little difference.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Penny Morgan

We recently had several trees cleared from the back of our property. A
couple of them were locust trees. The roots have these tremendously long
runners that are about the size of a water hose that run under the surface
of the soil. The tree service told us to keep applying round up concentrate
at a rate of 4-5 oz. of round up to a gallon of water. Apply every two
weeks until the tree is dead. We actually ended up getting Bonide Brush
Killer Concentrate because it kills woody type brush along with poison ivy,
oak, etc. My poor husband can attest to that. I haven't noticed any new
sprouts anywhere.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Greg and Kelly Carr

I'm not sure what type of tree it was, it had yellowish color leaves.

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Greg and Kelly Carr

I will try using this brush killer concentrate. Do I have to go to a special
store to get this?

Thanks for your help....

. com...

Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 AM
dementia13

In article ,
"Greg and Kelly Carr" wrote:

I had a locust tree in my backyard. We had it taken down because it was
blocking the sun to one of our favorite beech trees. The tree was removed
two years ago and we have yet to have the stump ground down. This tree was
in a lawn area. Ever since we removed the tree, during the spring and
summer, sprouts of locust shoots are everywhere. The entire root system of
the tree is apparent. I have even severed some of the roots, that were
close to the surface, and I still see these shoots and have to mow them down
(they grow quite rapidly). I am afraid that even when we remove the stump
we will have a problem with the roots. Has anyone experienced this?

I'm new to my area, and we're infested with Black Locusts here. My
neighbors tell me the shoots will stop coming up after a few years, I'm
willing to wait it out before I go spraying my yard. Damn things. We've
got about eight that fell down in the last tropical storm, and they
sprout right up from the stump. They fall over if you breathe on them,
and they drop limbs like horror-movie zombies. The only good thing about
them, one of the fallen trees bloomed this spring, and that wall of
flowers scented the whole yard.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
clipster

Locust Trees, while nice foliage etc., have very lousy surface roots.
Further if you don't cut back the shoots that pop up from these runners,
you'll get a new locust tree with thorns (the primary form). I have been
cutting locust tree roots for years now off my tree and it doesn't seem to
hurt it at all. Also the roots will destroy whatever lawn you have. In
Australia, the locust tree is a predatory tree and is hunted to elimination.

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Golden Sunburst Honey locust Tree Biglarry Gardening 3 02-05-2013 12:47 AM
What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree? [email protected] Gardening 5 16-07-2007 07:52 AM
Locust tree fungus (0/1) jacqueline thomson Plant Biology 0 09-06-2007 07:12 AM
Save the Locust tree Srgnt Bilko Lawns 0 21-08-2004 06:26 PM
Black Locust Problem Paul Lehmann Lawns 2 07-03-2003 11:10 AM