Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default zucchini flowers

Not a question, not an answer. I'm bragging. I have 6 beautiful zucchini
flowers in my half whisky barrel planter. I'm so pleased, I thought I'd tell
the people who'd understand.

--Lia
Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Blooming them is only the first step.

Now you need to take the pollen from the male flowers and put it on the
stigma of the female flowers if you intend to get fruit.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Julia Altshuler

Cereoid-UR12yo wrote:

Blooming them is only the first step.

Now you need to take the pollen from the male flowers and put it on the
stigma of the female flowers if you intend to get fruit.

This afternoon they hadn't opened yet. If they've opened tomorrow, I'll go
around with a brush. I have lots of bees so I'm not sure helping is necessary
though I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

--Lia
Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Suja

Julia Altshuler wrote:

This afternoon they hadn't opened yet. If they've opened tomorrow, I'll go
around with a brush. I have lots of bees so I'm not sure helping is necessary
though I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

Didn't think you had to do a darn thing to these plants. My neighbor
had 3 vines growing, and dozens of zucchini, which he was nice enough to
offer to all and sundry. Unfortunately, I have a hard enough time
figuring out what to do with one, much less a dozen.

Suja
P.S. Fancy running into you here!

Old 02-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Julia Altshuler

You don't necessarily have to do anything to the plants, but the flowers come in
male and female varieties so if there aren't bees to help out, one can take a
brush, poke it in each of the flowers in turn and thereby spread the goodies
around.

The other thing one might do to these plants is take precautions against the
dreaded squash vine borer. For two years, it killed my plants. This year I'm
checking daily for eggs,

What to do with lots of zucchini:
Zucchini bread.
Ratatouille.
My favorite: Zucchini fritters. (Recipe from Victory Garden Cookbook.)
Crude sex jokes.

Not at all crude zucchini joke: Two women were chatting while waiting for their
flight in an airport. One tells the other that the New England town she comes
from is so small that no one ever locks their car doors-- except in summer.
"Crime must increase with the summer visitors," the other says and nods
sympathetically. "Oh no!" corrects the first. "It's just that if you leave
your car unlocked, someone will come and fill it with zucchini!"

--Lia

P.S. It figures!

Old 02-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Wrong. Male and female are different sexes not varieties.

Actually squash plants produce both unisexual male and female flowers on the
same plants but you will need to cross pollinate between two different plant
to get fruit. It doesn't need to be the same squash cultivar though.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Dwight Sipler

Julia Altshuler wrote:

You don't necessarily have to do anything to the plants, but the flowers come in
male and female varieties so if there aren't bees to help out, one can take a
brush, poke it in each of the flowers in turn and thereby spread the goodies
around...

Generally, the male flowers appear first, giving the bees a chance to
cover themselves with pollen. The female flowers appear a few days
later. The male flowers are on an elongated stem, while the female
flowers are right up against the base of the plant.

For those who like squash blossoms in their salad, use the male flowers.
If you use the female flowers, you won't get a zucchini from that
flower.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:44 PM
David Hill

If you cut the flowers and dip them in batter and deep fry
they make an interesting garnish for a meal

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Dwight Sipler

David Hill wrote in message
If you cut the flowers and dip them in batter and deep fry
they make an interesting garnish for a meal

The productivity of zucchini is legendary, so stealing a few blossoms
occasionally will reduce production, which is probably a good thing for
most home gardeners. Depending on the temperature, the time from blossom
to fruit (assuming adequate pollination) is about 4-15 days (faster at
moderate temperatures, falls off at very high or low temperatures).

You could pur in an extra zucchini plant just for blossoms, but you will
have the same problem: the productivity of blossoms is greater than the
productivity of fruit, so you will be overwhelmed with blossoms.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:56 PM
David Hill

If you take the pollen from the male flower and brush pollinate if you need
to, then cook it you get the best of all worlds

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-07-2003, 12:56 AM
V_coerulea

They're quite good that way and allow zucchini growers to enjoy the plant in
more ways. If you pay attention to the sex of the flowers out (the plant
usually overproduces male flowers) and pick only males, leaving about 2
males to every female left for fruit production, you won't have any problems
getting your usual bountiful crop.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:32 AM
jhultman

Should the zucchini plant produce consecutive crops all season or do
they blossom, produce some, then die out?

That's what mine are doing. I should've planted a few more weeks
later than the first batch.

Emil

Old 03-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Julia Altshuler

jhultman wrote:

Should the zucchini plant produce consecutive crops all season or do
they blossom, produce some, then die out?

That's what mine are doing. I should've planted a few more weeks
later than the first batch.

Emil

They should keep producing until frost. Perhaps a bug is causing your problem?

--Lia
Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:24:23 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo"
wrote:

David Hill wrote

If you cut the flowers and dip them in batter and deep fry
they make an interesting garnish for a meal

But you will never get any fruit if you do that.

Au contraire. A single male blossom from time to time is all you need.
The girls produce the fruit. Deep-fry away!

[IMG] code is On

Zucchini flowers Chris[_14_] Gardening 3 04-04-2009 11:47 PM
Zucchini Flowers Falling Off D.D. Palmer Lawns 1 11-06-2005 09:54 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg Tracey Gardening 1 22-07-2003 06:32 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg (1/1) Some One Gardening 5 22-07-2003 03:42 PM
Zucchini Flowers Falling Off Seeker Edible Gardening 3 28-06-2003 01:20 PM