Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Stephen Younge

Default tomato watering regimen?

I live in Boulder, Colorado.

I am growing four tomatoes in large 20" pots (patio; super bush; early girl
improved; and super fantastic), and two tomatoes in the ground (big boy;
some russian ornamental).

I have been watering all of the tomatoes like crazy, heavily every morning
and on weekends again after lunch. The tomatoes look very vigorous and
healthy, no yellow leaves, all have flowers and the early girl (finally) has
a few tiny green tomatoes. They were all planted in late May.

But I am worried that I may be begging for problems with this watering
regimen. Should I scale it back? Is it possible to over-water a plant that
is in a pot with good quality potting mix? I noticed someone recommended
waiting until the tomatoes begin to wilt. Now during our heat waves, that
can be as little as 6 hours...

Oh, and an unrelated question: do I need to help pollinate any of the
tomatoes? I've heard that hybrid varieties are self-pollinating. But would
it help any for me to put on a bumblee outfit and go to town with a q-tip?

Cheers,
Stephen