Old 05-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Ablang

Default used kitty litter & gardening?

Although the directions say not to use used kitty litter for gardening
purposes, it seems like it would be beneficial to gain nutrients left by kitty
poop.

Is used kitty little really bad for plants?

-- "I'm 30 years too young to date Anna Nicole Smith, and I'm 30 years too old
to date Demi Moore."
Arnold Schwarzanegger, referring to being 55 years old
Old 05-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Starlord

kitty litter is NOT good for the garden, what it will do is draw to your garden
all the strays in the area. It is not like the steer manure which is plant based
to start with.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org

Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/

"Ablang" wrote in message
Although the directions say not to use used kitty litter for gardening
purposes, it seems like it would be beneficial to gain nutrients left by kitty
poop.

Is used kitty little really bad for plants?

-- "I'm 30 years too young to date Anna Nicole Smith, and I'm 30 years too

old
to date Demi Moore."
Arnold Schwarzanegger, referring to being 55 years old

---

Old 05-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Timothy

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:37:54 +0000, Ablang wrote:

Although the directions say not to use used kitty litter for gardening
purposes, it seems like it would be beneficial to gain nutrients left by kitty
poop.

Is used kitty little really bad for plants?

I doubt that the cat droppings will injure the plants but the parasites
and pathogens in the cat scat may very well hurt you if not treated
correctly. The same is true with dog, pig and human scat. The only way I
can see using any of the above is to cook it to kill off the
parasites and pathogens before composting or right after composting. With
all the effort you would have to put into making the scat safe for
handling, just seem worth while to me.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 05-07-2003, 04:32 AM
DKat

What is your kitty litter made of? The Pine litter I use works fine in
certain locations as a mulch (under bushes where it is not going to get
stepped in and handled by accident). The clay litter would not be a good
idea in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:44 PM
John T. Jarrett

I agree it is better to recycle or compost it in some way rather than
sending one or two cubic feet of it to the landfill each week.

Here's a link for what to do with cat feces and why:

http://www.mastercomposter.com/ref/orgmat2.html#cat

And elsewhere on the site they give instructions for building a 'soil
ingestor' which is how they suggest you compost dog or cat feces. I can't
imagine scooping it out after it fills up in a couple years and using it ON
any plants personally, but I'm considering digging in an old trash can at
the back corner for this purpose. With an open bottom, it would leach into
the lower soil levels and I imagine a tree or bush or two that likes those
'ingredients' would find them and use them...
http://www.mastercomposter.com/more/ingest.html

hth,
John
Austin, Tex

Old 05-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Bill Spohn

The only way I
can see using any of the above is to cook it to kill off the
parasites and pathogens before composting or right after composting.

Now there's an appealing picture - hey, Dear, I'm home. What IS that you're
cooking on the stove - it smells?? Say what????

[IMG] code is On

String Algae & Kitty Litter ? Bette E Ponds 0 18-07-2004 10:02 AM
String Algae & Kitty Litter ?(Thanks So Much !) Bette E Ponds 0 14-07-2004 08:10 PM
Kitty Litter Question Wayne Ponds 19 22-03-2004 12:48 AM
Kitty Litter Question Wayne Ponds 0 17-03-2004 01:56 AM
Using Kitty Litter in the Garden Robyn Australia 17 09-06-2003 01:08 PM