Old 17-03-2004, 01:56 AM
Wayne

Default Kitty Litter Question

I've noticed that some of you use kitty litter (descented kind?) for pond
planting. Does the kitty liter absorb the water and stay settled in the pot
or does it try to float away like some of the dry potting soils that I have
tried? Any suggestions is appreciated.

Old 18-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Wayne

"Ka30P" wrote in message

When you use plain, unscented kitty litter...
rinse it really, really, really well. Lots of rinsing.

I used black, rigid mesh pots so the rinsing was easy, the water just

flowed
out the sides.
I topped the litter with larger stones. This kept the fish from picking it

up
and spitting it out all over the pond.

The advantage of kitty litter is that it is easy to push in fertilizer

tabs and
it stays nice and loose when it comes time to divide the plants.

hth!

kathy :-)

Thanks for your reply. I was in Wal-Mart today and bought a 25 pound bag of
"Special Kitty" cat litter. It is "no scent" and made from 100% ground
clay. I think that this is what I'm looking for and it shouldn't require
rinsing (?). It was only $1.97 for 25 pounds whereas the Schultz Aquatic
Soil that I've been buying from Loew's is $6.93 for 10 pounds. Quite a
difference in price if it works. Has anyone else tried this particular cat
litter before and had any problems with it? Thanks!

Old 18-03-2004, 09:34 AM
KCnRichmond

Thanks for your reply. I was in Wal-Mart today and bought a 25 pound bag
of
"Special Kitty" cat litter. It is "no scent" and made from 100% ground
clay. I think that this is what I'm looking for and it shouldn't require
rinsing (?). It was only $1.97 for 25 pounds whereas the Schultz Aquatic
Soil that I've been buying from Loew's is $6.93 for 10 pounds. Quite a
difference in price if it works. Has anyone else tried this particular

cat
litter before and had any problems with it? Thanks!

Food Lion used to have "Black Kat" unscented, non-clumping, $1.87 for 20#...
I think the water garden industry got in on it, cause they stopped selling
it...lol. Best stuff I ever used with small rock on top like k30p
said....Mostly I use this for lilies..I put marginals in just plain pea
gravel...When planting Hostas, Daylilies, Silver Liriope, Phlox,and whatever
else I want on my plant shelf, I put the deco rock on top of the soil, right
in the landscape pot it comes in and soak it good, then submerge in the pond
about 1/2" over the top of the pot...Those type of plantings work great
until everything else starts getting established, getting a jump on the ol'
pea soup. What the heck, its a garden right? The fish love to, uh, "play
tag" up in the foliage...

Old 18-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Wayne

"KCnRichmond" wrote in message
[...]

I tried the Special Kitty cat litter last night on a re-potting of some
Pickerel Rush. I'm impressed so far. It worked very good. I'm just
waiting on some water hyacinths and water lettuce to come in at Home Depot
or Lowe's. Other than that, I have more than enough potted plants from last
year. They just keep multiplying and I keep re-potting. My water is still
clear... knock on wood. Good luck!

Old 20-03-2004, 11:21 PM
RED1102

Can the kitty litter be used for all pond plants? All I've every used is soil
from a pond place and the pots weigh a ton when you are trying to take them out
to seperate. It would make things so much easier.
If it's covered with stone it won't float to the surface?
Thanks for any advice.
Carole
Old 20-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Wayne

"RED1102" wrote in message
Can the kitty litter be used for all pond plants? All I've every used is

soil
from a pond place and the pots weigh a ton when you are trying to take

them out
to seperate. It would make things so much easier.
If it's covered with stone it won't float to the surface?
Thanks for any advice.
Carole

I am using the "Special Kitty" litter for all of my plants. The way that I
did mine yesterday and the day before was:

If the container had a big hole or holes in it, I covered the hole with a
doubled up paper towel to allow the water to come in but to block my rocks
and liter from getting out, at least until the roots can find the hole and
fill it. Then I lined the bottom with rocks for weight. Then I put my
kitty liter up to the depth that I wanted the base of my plant in the
container. After placing the plants in my container, I then filled it with
litter up to within1/2 - 3/4 inch from the top. Then I slowly wet the
litter down with a hose until the water runs out the bottom of the
container. When I lower the container in the pond, none of the litter comes
out the top. Once watered down, it really becomes something that resembles
a paste, much like packed sand with water in it at the ocean. I don't have
any rocks on top of the litter and it is doing great so far. I swear that I
can already see extended growth on my lillies and pickerel rush. I'll add
some fertilizer pellets, one per pot, shortly. Now, having said all of
this, I don't consider myself an expert but this method works for me. I'm
sure that others have their own private ways too. Good luck!

Old 21-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Ka30P

Kirsten wrote If it's like a paste, will it allow the roots to grow, you
think?

When I used kitty litter it stayed 'put'. Didn't turn to paste and was loose
the following season.

kathy :-)
Old 21-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Wayne

I used the term paste because that's what it resembled when wet and settled.
It is 100% ground clay and clay is great for potting plants in a pond. You
can stick your finger down through it easily, like when you're adding
fertilizer spikes.

"k conover" wrote in message
If it's like a paste, will it allow the roots to grow, you think?
Kirsten
"Wayne" wrote in message
m...

Old 21-03-2004, 08:03 PM
RED1102

thnaks for al the info, I'll have to give it a try this season.
Do you think you could just put the plants in stones to grow??
Old 21-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Wayne

I've read here where some people plant specific plants in stones but I don't
know which ones. In the stones, your plants will have to get their
nutrients from the water because I would think that it would be difficult
pushing the fertilizer pellets down into the stones. This is my first time
using the 100% ground clay kittly litter in my pots but so far, the plants
are definitely growing in it. My pickerel rush has added at least 2-3
inches of stem growth since I repotted them earlier in the week. My water
lilies are growing about the same. I'm in Zone 7a, Charlotte, NC area.
My water is extremely clear too, knock on wood! Good luck!

"RED1102" wrote in message
thnaks for al the info, I'll have to give it a try this season.
Do you think you could just put the plants in stones to grow??

Who, What Where? Oh yea, Kitty litter Webwarlock Ponds 0 16-08-2004 08:55 PM
Koi Clay vs Kitty Litter gerry Ponds 0 08-07-2004 05:03 PM
Kitty Litter Question Wayne Ponds 0 17-03-2004 01:56 AM
used kitty litter & gardening? Ablang Gardening 8 05-07-2003 03:44 PM
Using Kitty Litter in the Garden Robyn Australia 17 09-06-2003 01:08 PM