Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
John DeBoo

Default Wierd Sunflower update

Of the 23 small heads this one plant now has, 4 of them are starting
to bloom. I think this one plant is going to have a lot of trouble
supporting all those seed headsG.

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Bill R

John DeBoo wrote:
Of the 23 small heads this one plant now has, 4 of them are starting to
bloom. I think this one plant is going to have a lot of trouble
supporting all those seed headsG.

John,

It may be worth providing support for the plant. You could
have a prize winner there or even a mutated variety. Be
sure to take lots of pictures.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 11-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Dwight Sipler

John DeBoo wrote:

Of the 23 small heads this one plant now has, 4 of them are starting
to bloom. I think this one plant is going to have a lot of trouble
supporting all those seed headsG.

In general, the multibranched sunflowers have relatively small flowers,
so the weight isn't all that great. The small flowers make good cut
flowers, although in general sunflowers will drop yellow pollen on your
table as they mature.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Caren

Dwight Sipler wrote:

John DeBoo wrote:

Of the 23 small heads this one plant now has, 4 of them are starting
to bloom. I think this one plant is going to have a lot of trouble
supporting all those seed headsG.

In general, the multibranched sunflowers have relatively small flowers,
so the weight isn't all that great. The small flowers make good cut
flowers, although in general sunflowers will drop yellow pollen on your
table as they mature.

You can get seeds now for sunflowers that don't drop pollen. In some very
nice colors, too.

--
Caren

Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 AM
John DeBoo

Bill R wrote:

John DeBoo wrote:

Of the 23 small heads this one plant now has, 4 of them are starting
to bloom. I think this one plant is going to have a lot of trouble
supporting all those seed headsG.

John,

It may be worth providing support for the plant. You could have a prize
winner there or even a mutated variety. Be sure to take lots of pictures.

It just happens to be growing within 12" of the house so I'm going
to support it via the underside of my eaves. Its just too neat to
let break due to the load. Heads look small in comparison to the
others and another popped open today.