Old 25-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Rob Smith

Default Wierd Idea??? What do you think?

Today at work, a couple guys a I were talking about this and that. The one guy "Steve", got talking about a planting a zucchini now for this year's fair. A couple years ago got first place in the biggest zucchini competition. As he described it with his hands, it was apparently about 3 feet long, and about 10-12" in diameter at the big end.

Anyway, I got thinking and I want to try to grow a 4-6 foot zucchini. Here's my thoughts... Take a 6' piece of 4" PVC pipe and cut it in half. When a zucchini starts growing, put it in the pipe and wrap rope or something around the pipe halves to keep them from splitting about. Here's the question... Will the pipe force the zucchini to grow long and skinny, or will the pressure of growing against the pipe cause the zucchini to crush it self? Do you think this will produce a long zucchini, or am I nuts? I think I'm gonna try it anyway, but would like to see some opinions also.

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com

Old 25-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Keith Karausky

Anyway, I got thinking and I want to try to grow a 4-6 foot zucchini. =
Here's my thoughts... Take a 6' piece of 4" PVC pipe and cut it in half. =
When a zucchini starts growing, put it in the pipe and wrap rope or =
something around the pipe halves to keep them from splitting about. =
Here's the question... Will the pipe force the zucchini to grow long and =
skinny, or will the pressure of growing ag

You might be starting a new kraze, just look at the Japanese and their square
watermelon.
Old 25-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Rob Smith

Hey yeah... I completely forgot about those square watermelons. You got to
admit, that is a cool idea. I mean square melons? That has got to be a
great conversation piece at the picnic. I bet people would go nuts, if they
pulled up to a roadside stand and saw square (anything).

"Bonsai Veggies, by Farmer Zen Gardener"
--

=

Old 25-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Mark

"Rob Smith" rfsmith@-remove this before sending-alltel.net wrote in message ...
Hey yeah... I completely forgot about those square watermelons. You got to
admit, that is a cool idea. I mean square melons? That has got to be a
great conversation piece at the picnic. I bet people would go nuts, if they
pulled up to a roadside stand and saw square (anything).

"Bonsai Veggies, by Farmer Zen Gardener"
--
Rob Smith, NY

I think the Japanese grow their square melons in a box made of Lucite
or some other clear material. Otherwise they'd end up with pale
melons. Can you score some clear 4" pipe for your experiment?

Mark
Old 26-04-2003, 02:44 AM
TCS

In article , Rob Smith wrote:
Hey yeah... I completely forgot about those square watermelons. You got to
admit, that is a cool idea. I mean square melons? That has got to be a
great conversation piece at the picnic. I bet people would go nuts, if they
pulled up to a roadside stand and saw square (anything).

The hard part is that you have to use square water droplets to water them.
Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Rob Smith

Mark,

I can't think of any clear pipe, off the top of my head. But, I think I can
get some clear heavy duty suction hose. I think I'll try that and a plastic
mold like a face. This is gonna be an interesting summer.

I'm an artist, my medium is vegetable, my name is Anthill Whorhol.

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com
Woodworking, Home, & Garden Community

m...

Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Rob Smith

I think that is an awesome idea. I'm gonna go to Home Depot and get some
pieces of Plexiglas. I think I can sculpt a head mold by using a heat gun
on the plexi. I can put the hinges on the mold or just wrap a rope around
it to hold it together. This will take some time and experimenting but I
think it will be a hoot. I think I will take pics through-out the process
and write an article on it (if it works, then I will post the article with
pics)...well maybe I'll post the article anyway just for an interesting read
about a madman playing in his garden. But I will definitely keep you all
posted as it progresses.

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com
Woodworking, Home, & Garden Community

I had some clear molds that you'd put around a baby zucc or something,
and fasten shut. The veggie would grow and fill in the "face". Your
clear plastic mold would also have to be hinged somehow, so you could
get the danged veggie out without having to put a saw to the plastic to
open it.

Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Rob Smith

No problem!! They are called icecubes.
hehehe

--

"TCS" wrote in message
news:slrnbajobj.uec.The.Central.Scrutinizer@linux. adamf625.kaosol.net...

Old 26-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Jane

Hey Rob! I think you have a great idea. I know the Victorians used glass
cylinders to sheath their cucumbers...in order to make them grow long and
straight, because, (I'm serious here...it's true! ) a crooked cucumber was a
sign of moral failure. Ha! Now this idea that you have sounds feasible but
only if the light gets to the plant otherwise your zucc would be very
ghostly. I wanta know if you can do it!
Good luck,
Jane

Old 26-04-2003, 07:08 PM

Rob:
Don't forget progress reports and picx.
Have fun,
Roz
phx, az

Old 27-04-2003, 06:08 PM
kathleen

"Rob Smith" rfsmith@-remove this before sending-alltel.net wrote in
message ...
No problem!! They are called icecubes.
hehehe

If you're going to use a heat gun and make plexi molds for your veggies....

Oh, lordy, sorry, the visions I get of molded, x-rated veggies at your next
bbq..... LMAO

kathleen

Old 27-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Rob Smith

Ohhh... I didn't think of that!! Wow, this topic is really turning, might
have to start posting on one of them "Other" newsgroups.

Or maybe I'll try this too, and then just advertise over there!

LMAO!!!

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com
Woodworking, Home, & Garden Community

t...

Old 06-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Harold Olivier

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:37:46 GMT, "Rob Smith" rfsmith@-remove this
before sending-alltel.net wrote:

Mark,

I can't think of any clear pipe, off the top of my head. But, I think I can
get some clear heavy duty suction hose. I think I'll try that and a plastic
mold like a face. This is gonna be an interesting summer.

I'm an artist, my medium is vegetable, my name is Anthill Whorhol.

You might be interested in these:
http://www.vegiforms.com/

Harold
Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Rob Smith

Thanks Harold,
You just ruined my day, I thought I was onto something until you pointed out
that it has already been done. Just kidding! These molds are exactly what
I was thinking of making, but now I can just buy some. That will save alot
messing around.
Thanks for the link.