Old 15-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Phisherman

Default blueberry weak-green color problem solved

My blueberry leaves were turning a light green, showing their veins.
The blueberries were fed cottonmeal and given a thick mulch of old
sawdust. I decided to give the plants a (half) dose of Miracid three
weeks ago, and the bushes have responded with a deep green color and
loaded with berries. Wow! The change was amazing. I was a bit leary
of fertilizing the bushes due to damaging the delicate root system
they have, but now I now better. Perhaps the sawdust drew up all the
nitrogen, I don't know.

Old 17-07-2003, 01:36 AM
V_coerulea

Sawdust will do that. And be careful that it's not treated-wood sawdust.
While cottonseed meal is a good source of nitrogen, it's fairly slowrelease
and very low compared to what the sawdust can soak up. I'm not positive
about this but I know I read it somewhere, that blueberries are plants that
cannot distribute fertilizer to the whole plant if applied only to one side
whether foliar or root feeding. And if you have a good mulch on them,
ammonium nitrate is a good nitrogen source and not too strong (if used
properly -1/4 to 1/2 cup per plant I believe depending on size). Blueberries
are wonderful stuff.
Gary

Old 17-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Martin Jensen

Could try using pine needles as a mulch. I put pine needles on my mom's and my
blueberries every year and both of us have had pretty good results. I also
Miracid them once or twice a year in the spring. My soil was kinda neutral to
start with now it is on the acidic side, where it should be for blueberries.

Marty

On 7/16/2003 7:32 PM, V_coerulea wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

So weak-- so very weak. Darren Garrison Roses 5 02-04-2004 12:19 AM
Problem solved! Claude Orchids 2 14-10-2003 10:12 PM
[IBC] Ficus religiosa: problem solved Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:44 PM
Lilies & Koi problem solved Wendy Kelly Budd Ponds 10 16-06-2003 08:56 PM
Green water - solved? Anton Valouev Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:17 AM