Old 05-03-2003, 06:39 AM
JStubbs358

Default Another iris question-Can I separate them Now?

Hi- I love iris for thier non maintenence and beautiful flowers. I have lots of
types but my favorite has to be Elenor Rosevelt because she blooms her heart
out for me 10-12 times a year!There is rarely a time she is not blooming. Batik
is next best rebloomer so far but on to my problem. I need to re arrange where
several of my iris are presently planting. Some are only 1 yr or less old the
others at least 3 if not 4 yrs. Those are big and look like they could be
divided when i move them. So here are my choics-Go ahead move everybody and
don't divide until after Aug. Don't move anybody and have awkward plantings
around them or divide move whatever tenderly, gently.with bonemeal? I'm in S.
Central tx in San Antonio and we just had an ice storm last week but I cut over
a dozen royal purple blooms and 4 light lavender before it hit and they made a
wonderful vase in my LR.It was cold this morning but shorts this afternoon.
What should I do? I've been gone a while but nice to see Zhan and MadGardener
posting. Is Victoria still around?With my FM I haven't been able to do much
lately but I have help for tomrrow so please answer quickly.I know Victoria has
FM and did you Mad? There had seemed like lots of us at one time

..Judy zone I don't remember-aughhhh! Well its San Antonio

Judy zone 8 texas
Old 05-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Dwayne

Judy, you have at least two choices. Dig the entire thing up after
blooming, break them apart, and compost, give away or replant them where
ever you want them. If you do that right after they finish blooming some
might bloom again the following year, others and those seperated later in
the year wont bloom until the second year.

Or, you could take a shovel and cut the plants in half or fourths, depending
on how big they are, and remove all but one piece. Dont bother the piece
you are leaving, except to pack dirt around it. Chances are good that that
piece will bloom the following season.

They are sone of the most beautiful flowers, and I love the scent they give
out. When I lived in Arkansas I ran around and got pieces of those I
thought were more beautiful. I bet I had at least 20 different colors
planted around my place (7 acres). When we moved to Kansas, I brought parts
of all of them with me, in paper sacks with the colors written on each sack.
I planted them around my house, around my cousins house, and around the
house of a friend in another town. This spring there are going to be a lot
of beautiful flowers blooming around Kansas. Have fun. Dwayne