Old 20-09-2003, 03:32 PM
jc

Default when to separate iris's

I live in Phila, PA area. When do I dig up and separate my iris's? Could
someone please direct me to a site on the web that gives instructions for
how to do this. Thanks.

John Clarke

Old 21-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Dwayne

John, I do it anytime after they quit blooming. The earlier you do it, the
better chance you have of getting blooms the following summer, otherwise I
have found that it takes mine two years.

One trick I have tried and found that it works, is to take the shovel blade
and put it in the center of the clump of risones, and cut it in half. I
leave half undisturbed and take out the other half and separate it. That
way I still get blooms the following year.

Dwayne

Old 14-10-2003, 03:02 AM
David Ross

jc wrote:

I live in Phila, PA area. When do I dig up and separate my iris's? Could
someone please direct me to a site on the web that gives instructions for
how to do this. Thanks.

If they're bearded iris, do it when fresh rhizomes are in stock at
your local nurseries. The time to divide them is the same as the
time to plant new iris.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean