Old 18-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Davie

Default What houseplant is this?

Can anyone please tell me what I have here?

http://64.67.181.109/images/mysteryplant.jpg

My girlfriend brought this home from Home Depot for twenty bucks. It's
nearly 8 feet tall.
The conversation went something like this...

Me: "What's that?"
Her: "I thought it would look nice in the living room."
Me: "How do you take care of it?"
Her: "Ummm... I dunno. Water it?"

So my first step is to figure out what the heck it is.
My apologies if this is the wrong forum.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Dave

Old 18-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Travis

Davie wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what I have here?

http://64.67.181.109/images/mysteryplant.jpg

Looks like a banana to me.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 18-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Alana Gibson

Davie wrote:

Can anyone please tell me what I have here?

http://64.67.181.109/images/mysteryplant.jpg

My girlfriend brought this home from Home Depot for twenty bucks. It's
nearly 8 feet tall.
The conversation went something like this...

Me: "What's that?"
Her: "I thought it would look nice in the living room."
Me: "How do you take care of it?"
Her: "Ummm... I dunno. Water it?"

So my first step is to figure out what the heck it is.
My apologies if this is the wrong forum.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Dave

Looks like Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) to me. There aren't
too many web pages with good pictures of the whole plant, but I found
one he http://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/pla...strelitzia.htm

Old 18-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Tracey

Looks like Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) to me.

The ones out in my yard look similar to the one the OP
posted, but there's no white striations in the leaves
and they're (the leaves) are thicker. And, well, while
I can't say for certain, I've done a lot of browsing in
the houseplant sections of different stores and I don't
ever recall a Bird of Paradise being sold as a houseplant.
Maybe they just all got snapped up before I got there.

Tracey

Old 18-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Davie

hmmm.... that is a good clue Alana, which lead me he
http://www.plant-care.com/PlantTips/1999/082799.htm
I'm leaning toward "White Bird of Paradise" right now... any other opinions?

-Dave

Old 19-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Tracey

I'm leaning toward "White Bird of Paradise" right
now... any other opinions?

Well, blow me down. Ignore my post. I'll go outside
and let a mongoose bite me.

Tracey

Old 19-07-2003, 02:32 AM
simy1

"Davie" wrote in message ...
hmmm.... that is a good clue Alana, which lead me he
http://www.plant-care.com/PlantTips/1999/082799.htm
I'm leaning toward "White Bird of Paradise" right now... any other opinions?

-Dave

"Alana Gibson" wrote in message
Looks like Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) to me. There aren't
too many web pages with good pictures of the whole plant, but I found
one he http://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/pla...strelitzia.htm

No, I have the very same plant you have, and those strelitzias are not
quite the same as my plant or yours. They are variegated, the leaves
are more heart-shaped, and there are multiple stems whereas yours (and
mine) have no stems to speak of. At any rate, your plant is very
hardy,
will grow one spike at a time from the center, and does not sunburn
when i put it outside for the summer (in part shade).
Old 19-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Adam Schwartz

"Travis" wrote in message
Davie wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what I have here?

http://64.67.181.109/images/mysteryplant.jpg

Looks like a banana to me.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

I'll second that banana

-Adam

Old 21-07-2003, 02:43 AM
V_coerulea

Definately looks like a Bird of Paradise whether a white (very tall) or
Royal (medium tall) it's hard to tell. It's definately in the worng place as
they need very bright light. And before flowering it most likely will be in
a pot 2-3 times that size or more. They are related to the bananas.
Gary

Old 21-07-2003, 09:03 PM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:52:19 GMT,
"Davie" did speak the following bit of
wisdom:

Can anyone please tell me what I have here?

http://64.67.181.109/images/mysteryplant.jpg

So my first step is to figure out what the heck it is.
My apologies if this is the wrong forum.

You're in the right place. This looks like a "white bird of paradise"
(Strelitzia nicolai) to me, especially since it was bought from Home
Despot. They're pretty easy to look after, though it will probably
never bloom for you, especially kept as a pot plant in the house.

Try this: http://www.plant-care.com/PlantTips/1999/082799.htm

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"

[IMG] code is On

Help - Identify Houseplant Donna Coghill Gardening 2 09-03-2003 05:20 PM
Houseplant problems... John Doe Gardening 15 23-02-2003 04:15 AM
Houseplant problems... mmcpherson0563 Plant Biology 2 23-02-2003 04:03 AM
Houseplant advice JimM United Kingdom 5 03-02-2003 04:09 PM
How water ivy houseplant ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 1 07-12-2002 06:56 PM