Old 19-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Pelvis Popcan

Default Please help ID this flower

I found this growing down my street underneath some mailboxes. I think
the city planted it.

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/unid_flower

They planted it underneath the mailboxes last year so that it filled
the space, about 6 feet by 2 feet. They pulled it out at the end of
last season. This year they planted geraniums and day lilies. However,
it's growing back from last year. I am unsure if this is due to
re-seeding or if it's regrowing from old roots. It is actually even
growing out of some of the cracks in the surrounding pavement.

As you can see from the pics, the flowers look poppy-like and are in
shades of white, orange, yellow, and red. There are no leaves; the
foliage is soft with thick, fleshy spines, like anemone.

So far no luck in trying to find out what this is. All the poppy pics
I've looked at have flat "regular" leaves.

Old 19-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Alana Gibson

Pelvis Popcan wrote:

I found this growing down my street underneath some mailboxes. I think
the city planted it.

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/unid_flower

They planted it underneath the mailboxes last year so that it filled
the space, about 6 feet by 2 feet. They pulled it out at the end of
last season. This year they planted geraniums and day lilies. However,
it's growing back from last year. I am unsure if this is due to
re-seeding or if it's regrowing from old roots. It is actually even
growing out of some of the cracks in the surrounding pavement.

As you can see from the pics, the flowers look poppy-like and are in
shades of white, orange, yellow, and red. There are no leaves; the
foliage is soft with thick, fleshy spines, like anemone.

So far no luck in trying to find out what this is. All the poppy pics
I've looked at have flat "regular" leaves.

It is Portula grandiflora (Moss Rose)probably the Sundial variety. Here
you can buy then at WalMart or Lowes in the spring.

Old 19-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Penny Morgan

They are portulaca (moss roses) and they do readily re-seed each year. I
had a bunch of them pop up in old potting soil I brought with me when I
moved last fall. I dug them out and planted them along the edge of my bed
by the street and they are doing great. I also planted about 100 Yubi
Portulaca in a huge natural area near our cul-de-sac. They are smooth,
glossy flowers but also have flat, rubbery leaves that are not hairy looking
like the moss roses. The Yubi's also reseed and I'm planning on them coming
back next summer. They love full, hot sun and require very little water. I
own a flower planting business and I used Yubi's for a customer on a busy
cobblestone sidewalk that had a statue and a bed surrounding it. It was
near a business and did not get regular waterings. Last summer we were in a
severe drought and they went nuts. The customer called me at the end of the
summer and asked me what they were. Well, this summer we're inundated with
rain and I drove by her statue. It was filled with Yubi's again. Reseeded
from last year.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 19-07-2003, 03:22 AM
jrstark

Penny Morgan wrote:
[...]

I'm in NW Indiana, within a mile or so of Lake Michigan. I think they
just changed us to zone 6. Will these grow between stepping stones with
traffic from a large dog? If I can get some seeds this late, will they
still bloom?

Janine

Old 19-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Bill R

jrstark wrote:

I'm in NW Indiana, within a mile or so of Lake Michigan. I think they
just changed us to zone 6. Will these grow between stepping stones with
traffic from a large dog? If I can get some seeds this late, will they
still bloom?

Janine

Janine,

I have never had much luck starting them from seed this late
in the season. I doubt if you will have any luck with them
if you plant them where you have traffic from a large dog.
They are fairly tender and break off easily. One good thing
about breaking them off is that you can stick them in moist
soil and they will start a new plant. I have stared many
planters that way for my neighbors from my plants.

I have some pictures of my Portulaca (Moss Rose) on my web
site along with many other pictures from my and my
neighbor's gardens.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850