Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Gloria

Default Horse apples?

Thanks! I may have some good pies next year!

Gloria

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:21:17 -0500, "Gloria" wrote:

Anybody know what a "horse apple" is, or if it is available

commercially?
There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in many
years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour

tasting,
but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from told

me
she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home place.

She
said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to have
one of these trees. TIA for any info.

I Googled on

"horse apple" tree

and found many references. This one looked promising:

http://www.isons.com/trees.htm#crabapple

Evidently, 'horse apple' is also a common name for Osage orange.

---

Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Gloria

yeah, I know, but that ain't it...thanks anyway....

Gloria

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:21:17 -0500, "Gloria" wrote:

Anybody know what a "horse apple" is, or if it is available

commercially?
There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in many
years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour

tasting,
but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from told

me
she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home place.

She
said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to have
one of these trees. TIA for any info.

Gloria

We used "horse apple" to mean horse turds.
:-)

---

Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Gloria

No, I'm not sure....all I know is the lady called it a "horse apple tree"
and the apples were very big, green and extremely tart. Thanks for your
help.

Gloria

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
"Gloria" wrote in message

Anybody know what a "horse apple" is, or if it is available

commercially?
There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in

many
years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour

tasting,
but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from told

me
she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home place.

She
said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to

have
one of these trees. TIA for any info.

Are you sure you are not looking for one of many varieties of (hard)
cider apples?
There are a dozen tart cider varieties that would fit the bill (mostly
used for cider, but they cook well too). I myself sampled a dozen
different cider varieties, all growing wild, in Beaver Island,
Michigan.

---

Old 22-07-2003, 04:12 AM
zxcvbob

Bois d'arc is not an apple and it's not edible. It does make a good fence
post or floor beam. ;-)

Look for an old apple variety called "Wolf River." I'm not sure, but I
think that's what yur looking for.

Bob

Gloria wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that.

Gloria

"Lar" wrote in message

In article -
berlin.de, says...
Anybody know what a "horse apple" is, or if it is available

commercially?

There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in

many

years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour

tasting,

but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from

told me

she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home

place. She

said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to

have

one of these trees. TIA for any info.

Gloria

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Search for Bois d'arc tree...Bodark Tree...Osage orange.
Don't think I ever heard of anyone eating them
--
We child proofed our home,
but they are still getting in.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

---

Old 22-07-2003, 03:42 PM

http://www.apples-ne.com/newapplevarieties.html

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 22-07-2003, 03:42 PM

http://www.sagesapples.com/applevarieties.htm

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 25-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Zemedelec

not cow pies but
horse apples which used to occur behind the "vegetable man" as he
came through the neighborhood with his horse and wagon selling
produce. Grandpa would call me to the window, point, and tell me that
the sparrows where picking at my little cousins, meaning the horse
droppings. AKA horse apples, horse dumplings..

Right on. We used to call them (California, 1950s) "road apples."

Leslie

zemedelec
Old 27-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Lee

paghat wrote:

Used to take my moms old purses as a kid and stuff them full of road
apples & leave them in the street at night. Funny how you'd find
them a block away with 4-5 finger holes in themG.

are you sure your not one of my relatives??? they used to like to
play practical jokes. I hear that dad got a pile of .... put a hat
over it and told younger brother unkle newt that there was a bird
under this hat and for him to slip his hand under it when he lifted it
up and grab it before it could fly away.......so.... ......
heheheheheh!!!!!
love... lee.
Old 27-07-2003, 05:02 AM
John DeBoo

Lee wrote:

paghat wrote:

Used to take my moms old purses as a kid and stuff them full of road
apples & leave them in the street at night. Funny how you'd find
them a block away with 4-5 finger holes in themG.

are you sure your not one of my relatives??? they used to like to
play practical jokes. I hear that dad got a pile of .... put a hat
over it and told younger brother unkle newt that there was a bird
under this hat and for him to slip his hand under it when he lifted it
up and grab it before it could fly away.......so.... ......
heheheheheh!!!!!
love... lee.

Ya never knowG, grew up outside Seattle. When we didn't have road
apples to use or they were extremely dry we'd use cow cookies,
meadow muffins or pasture pizzas. Most fun though was putting a
purse on a piece of fishing line in the road and hiding in the
bushes. When people'd stop at night to pick it up we'd slowly pull
it away. You should have heard some of those remarks!!!

[IMG] code is On

Horse manure again [email protected] United Kingdom 16 09-09-2003 10:32 AM
Horse apples Tom Jones Texas 3 26-07-2003 12:42 AM
Aged Horse Manure Avail for the taking Sheila Edible Gardening 8 07-04-2003 11:56 AM
Jonsered Iron Horse Jerry Mohlman alt.forestry 0 25-12-2002 07:01 PM
Horse Manure When can it be used Adrian Colombini United Kingdom 4 24-11-2002 01:03 PM