Old 25-07-2003, 12:42 AM

Default Deer here

check out mice.

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote:
Perhaps
the deer is the worst offender in spreading ticks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Penny Morgan

Most poisonous plants are avoided. I found something that really works on
all shrubs, flowers, etc. You can't use it on edible plants like veggies or
fruits. It is called "Tree Guard". It is a latex based, ready-to-use spray
that sprays on milky, but dries clear. It contains bitrex, a very bitter
flavored ingredient that keeps deer from chewing on the leaves. It lasts
for about 2 months and then breaks down with sun and rain. You can reapply
then.

I recently planted a large natural area near our cul-de-sac with Yubi
Portulaca flowers. They were blooming their heads off and the deer decided
to munch on them one night along with some of my newly planted Shasta Daisy
and Purple Coneflowers. I sprayed the whole bed with Tree Guard right after
they munched. Two days later, I found fresh hoof marks all through the
bed - not one flower was eaten. They did, however, find another bed very
close to my fronch walkway and munched those flowers. I also sprayed them
and all the flowers in front of my house. I've not had one plant nibbled on
since. I've looked out the front yard and have seen a large herd of them
walking through my front yard - two huge bucks with about 3-4 doe, usually
2-4 A.M..

I also have a list from a gardening class I taught while working at a local
garden center a couple of years ago. The list is of plants that deer are
not "supposed" to eat. I think if they are hungry, they may make
exceptions.

Here goes: Ageratum, Ash, Black-Eyed Susan, Black locust, Bleeding heart,
Blue lily-of-the-Nile, Bottle brush, Boxwood, Butterfly bush, Calla lily,
Canterberry bells, Carolina cherry laurel, Chives, Clematis, Columbine,
Coreopsis, Daffodil, Daphne, Daylily, Devil's poker, Dogwood, Dusty miller,
English ivy, English lavender, Foxglove, Giant reed, Hazelnut, Hellebore,
Holly, Iceland poppy, Iris, Japanese rose, Jasmine, Jonquil, Larkspur, Lily,
Lupine, Matilja poppy, Myrtle, Narcissus, Nightshade, Oriental poppy,
Oxalis, Oleander, Pampas grass, Peony, Persimmon, Pine, Prickly phlox, Peppe
rmint, Red elderberry, Redwood sorrel, Rhododendron (except azalea-leaved),
Rosemary, Scotch broom, Sea buckthorn, She-oak, Snowflake, Soapbark tree,
Spearmint, Spruce, Trailing African daisy, Tree pepper, Trillium, Tulip, Wax
myrtle, Western spice bush, Wild cucumber, Wild lilacs (Blue Jean and Emily
B.), Yarrow, Yucca, Zinnia

Hope this helps.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"pluckey" wrote in message
I live in Ne P.A and would like to plant some things without the deer
population eating them. I could fence them in but decided I don't like the
whole fence thing,

What kind of flowers, shrubs, bushes can be planted without fear of deer
eating them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pluckey-

[IMG] code is On

Here Come the Deer again [email protected] North Carolina 7 18-05-2009 01:53 PM
here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM
Deer damage especially severe JohnF North Carolina 1 30-03-2003 02:08 AM
geranium macrorrhizum or pulmonaria in my deer-ridden, clay-filled backyard? Maggie Gardening 0 04-02-2003 03:37 PM