Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
zxcvbob

Default Peach tree bleeding like crazy

Shiva wrote:
Sorry for the cross-post but this is urgent.

My Peach tree, of about 8 years old, 7 feet tall, variety unknown, has
suddenly started bleeding sap from hundreds of tiny spots all over. Thne
leaves have all but dried up and fallen off, the ends of the twigs are
dead and dry too. This happened within days.
The tree is about 50' away from two others, and about 20 feet from
another peach tree, none of the others have the same problem.

I don't know if I can add pic here, which I took yesterday, so I put
them on a mini-page whrich you can visit by going to
http://www.westside.ca/peaches

It ain't a commercial site - it's just got 3 pics of my ailing peach
tree. ANY help is appreciated. By appearances of the tree, I'd say
urgent is an understatement.

Please email me at the anti-spam address given at the web site or at my
address by removing the "spamaway."

Many thanks

Eight years is not a *bad* life for a peach tree. :-(

Your description sounds like Cytospora canker (a fungus):
http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/CASDEPT/.../cytospor.html

or lesser peach tree borers. If I recall correctly, Lindane is the proper
insecticide and you'll have to discard the fruit the season when you spray
-- and it's not all that effective. Thiodan or Cygon also might work.

Call your county extention agent.

Bob

Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Shiva wrote:

My Peach tree, of about 8 years old, 7 feet tall, variety unknown, has
suddenly started bleeding sap from hundreds of tiny spots all over. Thne
leaves have all but dried up and fallen off, the ends of the twigs are
dead and dry too. This happened within days.
The tree is about 50' away from two others, and about 20 feet from
another peach tree, none of the others have the same problem.

It sounds like borers. Peaches are notorious for having problems with
borers. If allowed to proceed they will gridle the tree and kill it.
Now, you need to find the hole and run a wire up the hole to kill the
borer. Then to save this and your other trees you need to learn how to
do war against borers. Lindane was the standard treatment and still may
be. It is painted on the base of trees at appropriate times in the life
cycles of the borers. Your county agent can help you with the details.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 23-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Bill Ranseen

In article ,
"Stephen M. Henning" wrote:

Shiva wrote:

[...]

Peach borers are an example of an ounce of prevention being far better
than a pound of cure. Dormant oil + organophosphate in Dec.- Jan. can
reduce overwintering populations betterthan 90%. Bt during bloom, once
at "popcorn" stage (that's what the bud looks like), another a week to a
week-and-a-half later, by the time of petal fall should be effective for
most of the rest.
I thought lindane had been non-registered for years, tho they were still
selling it (as Kwell) in pharmacies for head lice a few years ago when
my kids were in grade school, this in spite of ineffectiveness (lice
have long since become resistant), toxicity, and the fact that it goes
right through the skin into the circulatory system. Check with your farm
advisor what might work for your situation.
Old 25-07-2003, 07:32 PM
paghat

In article , Shiva
wrote:

[...]

It is common for sick trees to begin bleeding copious amounts of sap.
Where I live, the first likely cause would be a root fungus, a ferocious
problem to have that generaly leads to having to start over with something
very resistant to the given fungus. Second likeliest cause would be some
boring insect. It needs immediately professional analysis, so call your
nearest university horiticultural extension to find out first how to go
about getting a diagnosis, from which you will know how next to procede.

Root funguses can spread a considerable distance, because there are
sap-eating beetles that collect the infected sap & carry it with them all
over tarnation. It's a weak stopgap measure, but if you can peal off
hardening sap to discard, there will be less for insects to cart away.

From the pictures, I've never seen a tree bleed quite like that, & it does
give the impression of some boring insect, which will also be terrible
news but more apt to be treatable once you have a real diagnosis.

Happily I've only read about most of these diseases & lack first-hand
knowledge. Maybe someone else can tell you more specifics, but if it was
happening to my trees, I'd contact a horiticultural extension for a
diagnosis & treatment options.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"