Old 26-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Joseph A. Zupko

Default Corn not growing

I plant two different varieties of corn. One is early and the other is
late variety. The early corn is about 3 feet tall the late one is about
3-5 feet high and the tassels have all ready developed but no signs of the
ears developing. Its grown in hard clay. Does this mean the corn will not
develope any ears? I planted corn in the same area last year and had no
problems but it was a different variety. We been getting enough rain here
in northern Ohio. Should I use lot of high nitrogen fertilizer?
Or is it too late and give up on it?

Old 26-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 03:37:00 GMT, "Joseph A. Zupko"
wrote:

I plant two different varieties of corn. One is early and the other is
late variety. The early corn is about 3 feet tall the late one is about
3-5 feet high and the tassels have all ready developed but no signs of the
ears developing. Its grown in hard clay. Does this mean the corn will not
develope any ears? I planted corn in the same area last year and had no
problems but it was a different variety. We been getting enough rain here
in northern Ohio. Should I use lot of high nitrogen fertilizer?
Or is it too late and give up on it?

Clay soil has a lot of nutrients in it, but corn (like most grasses)
uses nitrogen. I would apply it, but something like Miracle Grow
according to the label directions. Rotate your crop next year and
prep your soil by tilling in compost (or any organic matter) and
10-10-10.
Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Ludmilla Olgan

Phisherman wrote:

Clay soil has a lot of nutrients in it...

Really? All of the time? Some of the time? What kind of nutrients?

Old 26-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't know what Phishead is babbling about. Maybe its something he heard on
a Jerry Baker spot on PBS or saw in a dream?

Miracle Grow 10-10-10, obviously, is not a high nitrogen fertilizer nor does
clay soil freely give up its "nutrients" whatever they are supposed to be.

Use the high nitrogen fertilizer. Corn is a heavy feeder.

Next year work a lot of peat or compost into your soil.

Crop rotation works only if you grow different crops not three of the same
thing.

Old 26-07-2003, 07:22 PM
des weges

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:09:04 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Don't know what Phishead is babbling about.

There's a lot you don't know.....

Old 28-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike Stevenson

One thing of note is that corn will not form properly unless there is a
block of at least 4 rows. A "block" should contain at least 10 plants per
row, with 4 rows. This is required becuase corn is wind pollinated and needs
a good bit of pollen to get it to developing. You may still get some corn
without this, but much of the corn will not form properly, with many
undeveloped kernels on each ear. Planting more than one variety is not
generally a good idea, unless as you've mentioned one is early and one is
late. If they were to come to tassel at around the same time you could end
up with a number of deformed ears as a result.

And as already suggested corn is definately a heavy feeder and required a
good deal of nitrogen. Dried, pre-composted manure is considered a very good
fertilzer for corn. Fresh manure can be used as well but is not generally
reccommended...

Old 28-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

I know that you are a stupid troll that knows nothing at all about
gardening, Broccoli!