Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Racoons in sweet corn - how to NOT

What are some ways to keep racoons out of my ripening sweet corn? I don't have enough plants to share beyond the ears they have already destroyed!@!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

hrhofmann wrote:

What are some ways to keep racoons out of my ripening sweet corn? I don't have enough plants to share beyond the ears they have already destroyed!@!

Nearly impossible even with a fence because racoons are excellent
climbers... you'll have to erect a turkey wire fence and electrify it.
I no longer grow corn, takes too much space and local corn from farm
stands is so much better than home grown. I didn't have racoons but
the crows ravaged my corn.
Corn is in that tall growth:
http://i57.tinypic.com/28s0hu9.jpg
Haying:
http://i60.tinypic.com/11b57o7.jpg
Old 10-08-2014, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Mothballs? Tonite I have a flashing light and on-off with the flashes radio.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 7:43:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Mothballs? Tonite I have a flashing light and on-off with the flashes radio.

I don't have corn, but I sure as hell have raccoon and it is making my life hell!
The ******* is so bold that when OP in household saw him in side yard, he
actually STARTED TO APPROACH, like "what's for dinner" !!!

Until I closed up the cat door, he would come in at night, mess up the cat's water dish, eat his food, and for all I know, take a nap.

One night I came into the kitchen late and thus

Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:27:03 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, August 9, 2014 7:43:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Mothballs? Tonite I have a flashing light and on-off with the flashes radio.

I don't have corn, but I have raccoon and it is making my life hell! The ******* is so bold that when OP in household saw him in side yard, he actually STARTED TO APPROACH, like "what's for dinner" !!!

Until I closed up the cat door, raccoon would come in at night, mess up the cat's water dish, eat his food, and for all I know, take a nap. Now a problem for cat to come & go! Have to leave my BR window partly open to dark yard!

One night I came into the kitchen late and this

(hit Send by mistake)

HUGE creature rushed by, brushing against my legs -- fortunately no injury -- and rushed out the back door! So much for leaving the door open to computer room when working late!

OP says another time he SAW raccoon dragging the plastic cat food container TO THE CAT DOOR but unable to get it past. Huge claw marks on containers. (Gotta say he's not dumb... figuring that out!)

Our city's animal shelter used to send someone out to capture varmints, but will not do so since many years. Also used to lend humane cages, but stopped doing that as well. Buying humane cages is very expensive!

Wish I still had my son's old .22!

(Thanks for allowing me to vent...

HB

Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/10/2014 2:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I've had them up on the deck at night and even opening the door and
yelling at them the last time they refused to leave. I went back and
got firecrackers to toss at them and that did it.

Another time I squirted them with wasp and hornet spray.

Both time, they did not come back.

I would not have a cat door. Neighbor that did found one in the kitchen
one day.

Like I said, Hav-a-hart trap. Get the biggest one. Catch and release
or kill depending on local laws.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
What are some ways to keep racoons out of my ripening sweet corn? I don't have enough plants to share beyond the ears they have already destroyed!@!

The only thing that has worked for me is an electrified fence.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 12:30:53 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
[...]

Hey, that brings something to mind! Somebody told me that**** spraying X around the doorstep*** would deter them. It wasn't either of the above; would anybody know? It's worth a try.

I'm in bed when it tries to come in later at night so I can't spray it. Besides, I would be scared to death -- the CLAWS on those critters! So maybe anointing the doorstep would send a message

Both time, they did not come back.

Aw, I bet you miss them cute lil' critters!

I would not have a cat door. Neighbor that did found one in the kitchen one day.

I've always had indoor-outdoor cats. Would not keep a critter penned up inside 24/7. During raccoon attacks, I have to block up cat door and let cat use my BR window.

Like I said, Hav-a-hart trap. Get the biggest one. Catch and release or kill depending on local laws.

Ever PRICED one of those things!!! Not in my budget; I wish!

HB

Old 11-08-2014, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 18:07:31 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

[...]

Tractor Supply has a pair - 32x12x10 and 24x7x7 for $25.

Our "Game Wardens" here say if you catch a "game animal" you must
release it at the place you caught it without harming it. Animal Control
can not pick it up. More worthless bureaucrats..
--
Mr.E

Old 11-08-2014, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/10/2014 9:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Make one.
Frame with wood then chicken wire. On one end, you make a sliding door
that will drop to close trap. Trigger at other end with bait to drop
door. Sure even someone with your talents could do this.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Local laws vary.

I made a trap once as I described to HB but caught a skunk.
Did not know what to do and called fish and game people and they said a
skunk was not a game animal and offered no help.

Turns out skunks don't spray when confined so we opened the trap and let
it go.

Here in DE you can trap and kill but not release elsewhere but I did not
know this at the time and caught a squirrel that I released in local
park. I had pulled into the parking area of a county police substation
and a cop pulled in and I told him I had brought in a prisoner to
release which I did in front of the cop. He said nothing.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 07:56:45 -0400, Frank
wrote:

[...]

The raccoon will claw right through the chicken wire. takes heavyweight
wire mesh to hold a large coon.
--
Mr.E
Old 11-08-2014, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Not@home said:
wrote:
What are some ways to keep racoons out of my ripening sweet
corn? I don't have enough plants to
share beyond the ears they have already destroyed!@!

The only thing that has worked for me is an electrified fence.

Fence with charger, or a *tall* fence with loose, floppy wire at the top
and bottom.

Planting corn by the square foot method in 4' blocks, you can make a
temporary, movable fence 4' panels made with 8' lengths of 2x2 that
have chicken wire stapled to them. Let about 18'' of chicken wire
extend past the ends of the 2x2s.

Set some small stakes at the corners of the corn block, tie the panels
together with the loose wire curving out. Roll the panels up and
store them out of the weather when not in use.

This method (with sufficient numbers of panels) can also protect
peach trees from 4-footed varmints.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 11-08-2014, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's a real worthless pursuit, telling people they have to
follow the laws he was hired to enforce. Such nerve!