Old 26-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Me

Default Eliminate weeds in fescue

I have a great fescue lawn. However, in one spot of the lawn, I have 90%
weeds and hardly any fescue.
To prevent the weeds for expanding, I pulled everything, and dug deep into
the roots. I didn't use any chemicals.

Now the weeds have grown back and I'll use chemicals if I have to. One
person at the store suggested I use roundup, another a crab grass killer
There's 2 blown up pictures. You'll notice on one of them how most of it is
weed but the area turns into fescue. On the other, you can see the area I
dug up and how everything is growing back now 3 weeks later.

I do have a lemon tree a few feet from this spot and do not want to ruin it.
Below is the URL. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

http://home.earthlink.net/~cenews/garden/

Old 26-07-2003, 09:02 PM
zxcvbob

Me wrote:

I have a great fescue lawn. However, in one spot of the lawn, I have 90%
weeds and hardly any fescue.
To prevent the weeds for expanding, I pulled everything, and dug deep into
the roots. I didn't use any chemicals.

Now the weeds have grown back and I'll use chemicals if I have to. One
person at the store suggested I use roundup, another a crab grass killer
There's 2 blown up pictures. You'll notice on one of them how most of it is
weed but the area turns into fescue. On the other, you can see the area I
dug up and how everything is growing back now 3 weeks later.

I do have a lemon tree a few feet from this spot and do not want to ruin it.
Below is the URL. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

http://home.earthlink.net/~cenews/garden/

Don't use roundup; it will kill the grass as well as the weeds. Pull up
the weeds that you can, disturbing the soil as little as possible. Use a
spray bottle of broadleaf weed killer (like 2,4-d) to spot treat the
tougher weeds. Use an amine formulation rather than an ester to avoid
drift. (Probably any weed killer formulated for homeowners will be amine.)
And keep the grass mowed; weeds hate that.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 26-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Phisherman

I did not see your pictures as I have a dialup connection and your
site loads slowly, but I'd probably pull up the weeds again, seed,
apply a starter ferilizer, protect with straw, and keep it moist. It
sounds like you may be in a hot climate so keeping it moist this time
of year may be difficult--in that case wait a couple months for the
summer heat to subside. You could use RoundUp, but that will leave
you with completely bare ground and possible erosion problems. If
you use weed killer, it could interfere with grass seedlings. Bare
ground is an invitation to weeds, especially crab grass if it is a
sunny area. Crab grass seeds can remain dormant for 10 years or more,
but it won't have a chance in a thick fescue. Set your lawn mower to
the highest setting.

Old 27-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:07:05 GMT, Me wrote:
I have a great fescue lawn. However, in one spot of the lawn, I have 90%
weeds and hardly any fescue.
To prevent the weeds for expanding, I pulled everything, and dug deep into
the roots. I didn't use any chemicals.

Now the weeds have grown back and I'll use chemicals if I have to. One

No need. Scratch up the soil surface, removing the new seedlings (I see
crabgrass, oxalis, Euphorbia (probably E. maculata). Scratch the surface
every week or so, or mulch heavily. When the right time for seeding
comes around (typically early September in northern states), scratch
the area up one more time and spot seed with your lawngrass. Firm the
seed into the soil, cover with a mulch, and keep it watered.

Weeds take over in bare soil. Keep the soil covered with something
(crop or mulch) to prevent weed seed germination.