Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
B & J

Default "Black Knight" Butteryfly Bush

"SugarChile" wrote in message
They are easy to root even when you are not trying!! When I pruned one of
mine early in March, I used some of the cuttings as pea brush, to give the
sugar snaps something to climb. I just stuck them in the ground and let

the
peas climb up them. Several of them rooted and are now blooming like

crazy.

Cheers,
Sue

Okay, okay, as I said before, butterfly bushes are easy to start from
cuttings... GRIN

John

Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Fleemo

Thanks for the URL, John, and welcome back.

Now see, I went by the Bluestone website and took a peek at the photo
of the Black Knight butterfly bush they're selling. Their Black
Knight is similar to the one I ended up with, which is a rich purple
color but not nearly the dark purple (almost black) that I wanted. Go
figger.

-Fleemo

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. We were away on vacation.
No, Nanho Purple is not the almost black purple you asked for, but I like it
better than the Black Knight that I now have because of its restrained
growing habit and number of blossoms. If you read Tyra's post, you'll find
an excellent description of the plant. BTW, butterfly bushes are extremely
easy to start from cuttings. One of my gardening friends saw it in my yard
and asked me to start a plant for him about six weeks ago. I took a six inch
end cutting from the plant, stripped off the bottom leaves, dipped the stem
in rooting hormone, and put it in a tall three inch put full of Pro Mix. I
then set the pot in a container in the shade with about an inch of water in
the bottom and kept that much water in the container for a couple of weeks.
The plant is now about a foot tall and starting to bloom.

Here's the URL for Bluestone:

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/c...cgi/index.html

John

Old 09-08-2003, 04:22 AM
B & J

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the URL, John, and welcome back.

Now see, I went by the Bluestone website and took a peek at the photo
of the Black Knight butterfly bush they're selling. Their Black
Knight is similar to the one I ended up with, which is a rich purple
color but not nearly the dark purple (almost black) that I wanted. Go
figger.

-Fleemo

Thanks! That's why I suggested that you might like Nanho purple better than
Black Knight. I was obsessed about finding a Black Knight for several years
and found the chase far more exciting than the end result. G

John