Old 29-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Bluejay

Default Willowy Young Willow Trees...?

We planted some willow trees a few months back. They are now about 3-4
high. The problem is that the trunks are so thin and willowy, they are
forming a bow shape, and the leafy branches are folding over to the
ground.

We did have some wood stakes and wire guards around them to protect
them from our mutts knocking into them. But now, without the supports,
the trunks would form a half-circle.

I know you're not supposed to support stems of plants, or they can't
stand on their own, but we figured these willows would stand on their
own when their trunks got large enough. We don't want mishapen trees.

Any solutions, or is this normal?

Blujay

Old 30-07-2003, 03:02 AM
fran

It's normal, but I would still lightly stake them because they look
better that way and won't get in the way of the lawn mower.

Old 30-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Bluejay

] wrote:

We planted some willow trees a few months back. They are now about 3-4
high. The problem is that the trunks are so thin and willowy, they are
forming a bow shape, and the leafy branches are folding over to the
ground.

We did have some wood stakes and wire guards around them to protect
them from our mutts knocking into them. But now, without the supports,
the trunks would form a half-circle.

I know you're not supposed to support stems of plants, or they can't
stand on their own, but we figured these willows would stand on their
own when their trunks got large enough. We don't want mishapen trees.

Any solutions, or is this normal?

Blujay

Thanks for the answer. They had us worried. It was that the other types
of trees we planted at the same time are so straight.

As for the lawnmower, I can control the riding mower. I cannot control
those canine hooligans of mine. : )

Thanks again.

Bluejay

[IMG] code is On

my baby trees, willow and catalpa,& burr Oak non germ. Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 3 27-05-2008 12:52 AM
AUSTRALIAN WILLOW TREES (Geijera parviflora) ROGER RAINES Gardening 2 03-04-2005 07:51 PM
Ameri-willow trees? John O'N Texas 11 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Willow Trees and Wells Star Trek Card Geek Gardening 9 28-03-2003 12:20 AM
Chemical weeding arround young trees John Towill United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 09:15 PM