Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John O'N

Default Ameri-willow trees?

Does anyone here know anything about "Ameri-willow" trees?

Can they be purchased locally?

There's a place in florida that sells em:
http://www.cdr3.com/willow/

Do you think it's a scam?

I'm looking for a few super quick growing trees to provide shade and
privacy while the oaks and pecans grow up. Plan is to cut down
the Ameri-willows after about 10 years, when the more desirable trees
are providing shade.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John T. Jarrett

I think the fast-growers the site is advertising are going to require A LOT
of supplemental water in our normally almost desert-like summers. Willows,
Poplars, Sweetgums, Sycamores...if you get out of town and drive around, you
will find Black Willows and a few Sycamores growing naturally along wet
creeks and wet ponds. That is it, tho...not in fields.

You could just use locally available Black Willows for that matter. They
will grow 8' tall and 3" around in a single year, too...under the right
conditions...which for a willow is a creekbank. Weeping Willows are
prettier, less tough in our environment, and aren't as interested in growing
in a tall habit as it sounds like you want.

That said, the houses around me drain to the back of my yard and I just
planted a Black Willow (that I yanked out of a creekbed down the road) where
it stays wet about nine months out of the year. It will need watering in the
summer - but so does all the St Augustine around it. Hopefully, it will dry
the spot out the rest of the time.

And if you plant a Willow - any willow - keep it 30-60 feet from your home's
sewer lines...those roots will really spread out searching for water when it
gets dry and they will clog up your sewer lines with feeder roots. We used
to have to use the salt water in the bathtub trick to clean out our lines
every single month.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
om...

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

Good post. I would also like to add that there are myriad varieties of bamboo
which will look wonderful in place of willow. However, the one willow I've seen
in a sort of large stand with no supplemental watering were Globe Willow's.
They are upright, not weeping. They do require a relatively deep soil, no less
than 3 feet...and would perform much better if irrigated, but it's one willow I
have seen doing well in a field.

Victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
gary

There are many sycamores in the older parts of Austin where houses were
built around the 1950's but very few seem to have been planted after that.
In northwest Austin, where houses were built in the 1970's and on, there are
very few. Think this relates to different soil or just the tree falling out
of fashion? (There are a few young adult sweetgums in my Angus Valley
neighborhood.)
gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

Sweetgums are beautiful trees. They grow very slowly and back in the 70s had no
way to be "sexed" and were, in general, considered trash trees. By trash tree I
mean they spewed a lot of debris in the form of those wonderful balls that
pierced my foot many times!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
gary

The sweetgums in my neighborhood drop those pointy seedballs. So, females,
I assume. Any info/opinion on the sycamores?
gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry Horton

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:58:57 GMT, "gary" wrote:

The sweetgums in my neighborhood drop those pointy seedballs. So, females,
I assume. Any info/opinion on the sycamores?

Owning a sycamore can be rather like buying a little puppy that before
long has outgrown his bed, his house, his yard. Look for 60-75 ft in
20 years in deeper soils.

Sycamores "self prune", meaning they have a high tendency to throw off
branches of all sizes during storms. Make sure to plant them where
falling limbs won't crush cars, roofs, people, etc.

You might want to check out Mexican sycamore (_Platanus
mexicana_). More drought tolerant, less disease prone than the
American sycamore.

I like sycamores. And there's something about the sound of the word
'sycamore'. :-)

gary

.. .

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Rusty Mase

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 05:59:27 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Sweetgums are beautiful trees. They grow very slowly and back in the 70s had no
way to be "sexed" and were, in general, considered trash trees. By trash tree I
mean they spewed a lot of debris in the form of those wonderful balls that
pierced my foot many times!

No, no, you don't leave the seed pods on the ground! You pick them
up, stick a paper clip through them, paint them, and use for Christmas
tree ornaments. That was you don't waste your money down at the store
- well, maybe the paint store - and that is on the good authority of
my Dad!

Oh, I forgot, you can string them, too! Then you hang them around
your house. Should I proceed to cockleburs?

Rusty Mase
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:31:20 -0600, Rusty Mase wrote:

No, no, you don't leave the seed pods on the ground! You pick them
up, stick a paper clip through them, paint them, and use for Christmas
tree ornaments. That was you don't waste your money down at the store
- well, maybe the paint store - and that is on the good authority of
my Dad!

Oh, I forgot, you can string them, too! Then you hang them around
your house. Should I proceed to cockleburs?

Rusty Mase

Sure, proceed to cockleburs, but is there anything Buddhist I can make out of
the pods!?

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John T. Jarrett

Having been introduced to tree ID'ing in the Houston area, there they have
Sweetgums and here you have Sycamores. Appear to be just about the same tree
but Sweetgums have the really pointy round balls...guess they prefer the
higher rainfall Houston gets.

And they are considered a trash tree there, too...fine outside of your
yard...but you have to rake before you can play frisbee if there is one in
your yard :)

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
Web Design - Program - Host - Maintain - Databases - E-Commerce
$9.95 Nationwide Dial-Up ISP new customers welcome...
. ..

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
gary

I don't see much similarity between sweetgums and Sycamores. Different
leaves, bark, fruit, everything. Our Austin sycamores are concentrated
mostly in the older areas of town. Don't know if they are mostly American
or Mexican sycamores. Looks to me as though they were the tree to plant in
the 1950's, as the Arizona Ash (ugh!) became the tree to plant in the
1970's.
gary

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
Having been introduced to tree ID'ing in the Houston area, there they have
Sweetgums and here you have Sycamores. Appear to be just about the same

tree
but Sweetgums have the really pointy round balls...guess they prefer the
higher rainfall Houston gets.

And they are considered a trash tree there, too...fine outside of your
yard...but you have to rake before you can play frisbee if there is one in
your yard :)

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
Web Design - Program - Host - Maintain - Databases - E-Commerce
$9.95 Nationwide Dial-Up ISP new customers welcome...
. ..

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

"gary" wrote in
:
I don't see much similarity between sweetgums and Sycamores.
Different leaves, bark, fruit, everything. Our Austin sycamores
are concentrated mostly in the older areas of town. Don't know
if they are mostly American or Mexican sycamores. Looks to me
as though they were the tree to plant in the 1950's, as the
Arizona Ash (ugh!) became the tree to plant in the 1970's.

And 80's. I think mine in front date from the house, which is 1985.
--
Karen

Willowy Young Willow Trees...? Bluejay Gardening 2 30-07-2003 05:02 AM
Ameri Willow Info COLT STEELE Gardening 1 22-07-2003 11:07 PM
Ameri Willow COLT STEELE Lawns 0 20-07-2003 10:33 AM
Ameri Willow - Anyone COLT STEELE Gardening 0 20-07-2003 10:12 AM
Willow Trees and Wells Star Trek Card Geek Gardening 9 28-03-2003 12:20 AM