Old 01-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Registered User

Default Killing or Controlling Rose of Sharon??

I have an entire row of ROS between mine and my neighbors house. They are uncontrollable, there are little ones that are invading about 10 feet into my yard, which I mow with the lawn mower every week. Between the bushes I chopped the small ones down with a hedge trimmer. I even cut down a 20 foot row of the biggest ones between my house and the road, with a chainsaw. The other ones I pruned about 80 percent of them away. This was about 2 months ago and the are already growing out of control. If I can't control them, or stop them from invading my grass, how can I kill them? I've thought of burning the damn things down, but I think the local Fire Dept. would frown on a 70 foot wall of fire next to my neighbors house..... Please help.....
Old 02-08-2003, 02:32 AM
GrampysGurl

Trim them right after flowering and before they go to seed. I still get some
seedlings but they are easily hand pulled... My neighbor doesn't trim theirs
and they have tons of varying sized ROS shrubs growing all over the place. My
ROS are nice, compact and filled in well, they bloom incredibly as well.

Colleen
Zone 5 Connectcut.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:22 PM
GrampysGurl

One could also select any of the many sterile Rose of Sharon cultivars to
avoid self-seeding.

-paghat the ratgirl

awww but that takes the fun out of it ;o)
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut

[IMG] code is On

Killing Rose of Sharon Stanley United Kingdom 1 27-05-2004 11:11 PM
[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? Bob Bugay Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 04:08 AM
Pruning Rose of Sharon? Natty_Dread Gardening 4 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
Rose of Sharon hugh mcmanus Roses 1 13-04-2003 03:32 AM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM