Old 08-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Bennett

Default Mini Pumpkin Question

I have had good luck so far with my first attempt at growing small pumkins.
I started with the seeds for "Baby Boo" and have some nice vines with tiny
pumpkins growing where the female flowers were.

I'm doing this in my small back yard. They are growing in a narrow bed on
the side of my lawn.
Now they are starting to spread onto the lawn with these cool spiral
tendrils growing into the lawn.

My questions a
-Will breaking these tendrils be problematic as I want to train the vines to
go away from the lawn?

-Can I stake up the vines to avoid ground contact? The purpose would be to
isolate the fruits from pests and disease.

Thanks!
Bennett
Zone 6a
NY NY

Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Bennett said:

I have had good luck so far with my first attempt at growing small pumkins.
I started with the seeds for "Baby Boo" and have some nice vines with tiny
pumpkins growing where the female flowers were.

These are not only cute, but can be rather sweet treats if picked when fully
mature and baked. (The don't store for a long time, though, as they get
very stringy when they 'age.')

I'm doing this in my small back yard. They are growing in a narrow bed on
the side of my lawn.
Now they are starting to spread onto the lawn with these cool spiral
tendrils growing into the lawn.

My questions a
-Will breaking these tendrils be problematic as I want to train the vines to
go away from the lawn?

No, breaking the tendrils will not be a problem. Clipping them from the vine
will make it easier to safely redirect the growth.

-Can I stake up the vines to avoid ground contact? The purpose would be to
isolate the fruits from pests and disease.

Yes, these mini-pumpkins could be tied to a stake, or, better still, given a
trellis to grow up. The fruits are small enough that they don't need special
support -- it should be enough to tie the vine (near the stem) to the trellis or
stake.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:36:53 -0400, Bennett wrote:

I have had good luck so far with my first attempt at growing small
pumkins. I started with the seeds for "Baby Boo" and have some nice vines
with tiny pumpkins growing where the female flowers were.

I'm doing this in my small back yard. They are growing in a narrow bed on
the side of my lawn.
Now they are starting to spread onto the lawn with these cool spiral
tendrils growing into the lawn.

My questions a
-Will breaking these tendrils be problematic as I want to train the vines
to go away from the lawn?

Nope, go ahead.

-Can I stake up the vines to avoid ground contact? The purpose would be
to isolate the fruits from pests and disease.

Yup!

[IMG] code is On

identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup meee Australia 1 28-11-2005 03:14 AM
pumpkin question cochise Gardening 0 27-10-2003 08:42 PM
Pumpkin question AnonnyMoose Edible Gardening 4 03-09-2003 06:02 PM
Mini Pumpkin Question Tom/Pat Bennett Gardening 0 09-08-2003 03:12 PM
It germinated! (Banana, that is!) Also pumpkin question Darkginger United Kingdom 6 18-07-2003 03:44 AM