Old 09-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Alan Watkins

Default Why does everyone p**s all over Purple Loosestrife?

As the owner of eight separate ponds, I regard this as a beautiful
plant which attracts countless myriads of insects and provides nectar
for most of them.

May be God intended it was "invasive" and maybe you lot know better,
in your organised fashion?

The most invasive things I have discovered in my lifetime are people,
not plants. I also believe that people do far more damage than
plants, even IF plants are invasive.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins
Old 09-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

You sure make a whole lot of sense, Alan..............NOT!!!

Maybe you should calm down and start over from the beginning and explain
exactly what the heck you are ranting about?

Cattails are weedy too. So, what's your point?

om...

Old 09-08-2003, 02:02 AM
fran

It's considered invasive because it will take over acres of shoreline
and crowd out the native plants, thus producing a 'plant monoculture'
or 'plant desert' (like our lovely grass lawns). This also causes
issues with the local fauna because they are not getting all the
plants / habitats they need to survive.

It is beautiful and it would be even more beautiful if it weren't such
a P.I.T.A.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:12 AM
GrampysGurl

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/1...f/loosstrf.htm

The fact that is killing native vegetation that has more of a beneficial impact
to the wildlife of the United States.... In fact as a whole loosetrife has a
very small amount of wildlife that is attracted to it. It may be pretty but it
isn't something anyone should want in their yard as it is extremely aggressive
with no native enemies to keep it in check. It's bad stuff.

Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 09-08-2003, 09:12 PM

it takes over habitat now occupied by cat tails, which are native and home to entire
ecoweb of other species. loosestrife moves in and out competes the cat tails.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:02 AM
David J Bockman

From http://www.dcr.state.va.us/dnh/invinfo.htm:

"Invasive alien plants typically exhibit the following characteristics:

Rapid growth and maturity
Prolific seed production
Highly successful seed dispersal, germination and colonization
Rampant vegetative spread
Ability to out-compete native species
High cost to remove or control ...

An invasive plant infestation is like a slow motion explosion, which, if
left unchecked, may severely alter a site's natural, economic, aesthetic,
and other cultural values. Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)
illustrates this effect of invasive plants. An exotic introduction to North
America for
ornamental uses, purple loosestrife has invaded thousands of acres of
wetlands in the Northeast. The plant grows in high density and creates
substrate buildup around its roots that creates a drier site and allows the
plant to invade open water (Bender 2000). The resultant changes in substrate
and hydrology negatively impact native wetlands and the plants and animals
that inhabit these communities."

Very few things will **** off a naturalist faster than an introduced species
that alters wetlands.

Dave

Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 AM
animaux

For us in Austin, hydrilla is our bane. So bad, they had to introduce (another
horrible mistake in my opinion) fish from China to eat the hydrilla.

From http://www.dcr.state.va.us/dnh/invinfo.htm:

Old 10-08-2003, 02:42 PM
GrampysGurl

Very few things will **** off a naturalist faster than an introduced species
that alters wetlands.

Dave

soooo true!!!
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Hmm, naturalists ****ing in the pool?

Who would have thought it possible?

Old 10-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Chris Owens

I live in upstate NY within a mile of a beautiful marsh. Where
my local and state governments are engaged in an active [and,
fortunately, successful] effort to remove the purple loostrife.
Which crowds out the native plants; which reduces the
biodiversity, food, and habitat for the native animal / insect
species; which sort of screws all to hell the concept of
wetlands, y'know? In their native habitat, most invasive plants
are subject to natural ecological controls . . . there's
something that eats it or competes with it. The problem comes
when you introduce such a species to a non-native habitat . . .
then it is likely to crowd out something[s] else which are
crucial to the local food chain; without, mind you, providing
adequate replacement.

Chris Owens

Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Alan Watkins

Alan Watkins wrote:

As the owner of eight separate ponds, I regard this as a beautiful
plant which attracts countless myriads of insects and provides nectar
for most of them.

May be God intended it was "invasive" and maybe you lot know better,
in your organised fashion?

The most invasive things I have discovered in my lifetime are people,
not plants. I also believe that people do far more damage than
plants, even IF plants are invasive.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

I suppose it's just a different brand of ecology but beekeepers love
it because in time of drought or very dry weather it is one of the few
plants available to the hive. A question of balance, I guess, and one
where beekeepers probably don't figure much.

I repeat: people are more destructive and invasive than any plant.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

Old 10-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Some One

snip

I suppose it's just a different brand of ecology but beekeepers love
it because in time of drought or very dry weather it is one of the

few
plants available to the hive. A question of balance, I guess, and

one
where beekeepers probably don't figure much.

I repeat: people are more destructive and invasive than any plant.

Don't forget that bees were introduced in North America from Europe!
They aren't native either!

Old 11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Some One" wrote:

Don't forget that bees were introduced in North America from Europe!
They aren't native either!

Don't forget that most of us were introduced in North America from
Europe! We aren't native either. My wife is 3/16's native.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 11-08-2003, 04:02 PM
David J Bockman

Don't forget the natives aren't native either!

http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7265-12.cfm

"As elusive as the Cheshire Cat, the first people to arrive in the Americas
have seemed to appear and vanish with each new twist in the archaeological
record. The latest disappearing act takes place in the journal Science,
where new evidence casts another shadow over a once-cherished idea: that
Asian big-game hunters crossed the Bering land bridge between Siberia and
Alaska to give rise to the Clovis people, considered the first Americans.
New dating results show that a crucial Siberian site, thought to be a way
station on the Bering road, was not occupied until after the Clovis had
begun killing mammoths in North America."

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news

Old 11-08-2003, 09:37 PM
JanuszB

I repeat: people are more destructive and invasive than any plant.

I think you are right. Purple Loosestrife exist on this continent for
200 years and only recently naziecologist ( America for American
plants !!!, native is better and more beautiful !!!) started noticing
its invasivenness and want to spent millions of dollars to eradicate
that "underplant". Comparing how many wetlands were lost through
farming irigation and new housing developments it would be wiser to
spend this money buying land and turning it into nature preserves than
killing plants that live here for two centuries. Nature evolution with
or without help of human will not be stopped and some plants will be
outcompeted and we can only pray that will be replaced by something
that can compete with pollution of air and water. If we must eradicate
some invasive plants let start with grass as killing hundred thousands
of acres of lawns will make our waters less contaminated from excess
chemicals and bees or butterflies will have a lot more colorful weeds
to feed on we can survive with a meadows dandelions, clover and
biological diversity will be improved maybe more than by
eradicating purple loosestrife;-))) Caring for nature do not have to
mean restoring precolonial biological diversity.

Janusz