Old 10-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Wrighty

Default Garlic death

I planted about 40 cloves of garlic in early spring into my garden but when
they didn't look too healthy, i replaced them with plants (grown in the
greenhouse). These looked great for a few weeks and were as tall as my onion
plants (on same patch) but after some "heavy" Isle Of Wight winds the garlic
were flat on the ground and soon died. weirdly the onions were fine and have
gone on to produce a bumper crop. Anyone know why my garlic didnt survive if
the onions did? What should i do to prevent this next yr??

Old 10-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:04:40 -0400, Wrighty wrote:

I planted about 40 cloves of garlic in early spring into my garden but
when they didn't look too healthy, i replaced them with plants (grown in
the greenhouse). These looked great for a few weeks and were as tall as
my onion plants (on same patch) but after some "heavy" Isle Of Wight
winds the garlic were flat on the ground and soon died. weirdly the
onions were fine and have gone on to produce a bumper crop. Anyone know
why my garlic didnt survive if the onions did? What should i do to
prevent this next yr??

Isn't garlic supposed to be planted in the fall and harvested in July?

That's how it is here in N.Y. and how I do it anyway.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Andrew Ostrander

Garlic is affected by day length and starts to die down soon after the
summer solstice, so yours may have naturally finished. Have you dug them up
and looked for your crop? And as the previous poster wrote, garlic (here
anyway, zone 3) is best planted in the fall.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
dstvns

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:04:40 +0100, "Wrighty"
wrote:

I planted about 40 cloves of garlic in early spring into my garden but when
they didn't look too healthy, i replaced them with plants (grown in the
greenhouse). These looked great for a few weeks and were as tall as my onion
plants (on same patch) but after some "heavy" Isle Of Wight winds the garlic
were flat on the ground and soon died. weirdly the onions were fine and have
gone on to produce a bumper crop. Anyone know why my garlic didnt survive if
the onions did? What should i do to prevent this next yr??

Some garlics, particularly stiffnecks, require a fairly long freezing
period. If this is a softneck silverskin type then I am at a loss.

Dan

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
dstvns

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:44:05 -0400, Tom Randy
wrote:

That's how it is here in N.Y. and how I do it anyway.

The lucky ones harvested in July ) If you waited until now you're
gonna pull up big balls of mold. I replaced the beds with some
pepper plants and the peppers are slogging pretty well through the 6+
inches of rain in the past week.

Dan

Old 11-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Chris Owens

Garlic goes dormant in late summer; that's when you generally
harvest it. Whilst in some fairly mild climates, I've had
success with planting in late winter and harvesting the same
year, generally garlic does better if you plant it in the fall
and harvest the following summer. I suspect that if you check
where your garlic was growing, you'll find numerous bulbs in the
soil.

Chris Owens

Old 11-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Wrighty

I was recommended to plant in spring when the frosts have finished. out of
about 80 bulbs, there were only 10 in the ground when i dug them up and
these were tiny. Perhaps its different in uk?

Old 11-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Tom Randy

wrote:

That's how it is here in N.Y. and how I do it anyway.

The lucky ones harvested in July ) If you waited until now you're gonna
pull up big balls of mold. I replaced the beds with some pepper plants
and the peppers are slogging pretty well through the 6+ inches of rain in
the past week.

Dan

Hi Dan, I had 3 7/8" of rain between yesterday and last night, man did it
pour! Got my garlic out a few weeks ago so their safe.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:12 AM
J. Lane

Hey Wrighty,
Isn't garlic a two year crop? Plant in the fall of year one, leave the next
year and pull up in the late summer the year after that? If you pull it a
year after planting all you get is 1 clove, but if you wait another year the
clove multiplies.
BTW I once visited your beautiful isle when I lived in England as a
child.Unfortunately my memories are hazy. I was only 7 at the time.
--
Jayel

Old 12-08-2003, 09:12 AM
dstvns

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:04:16 GMT, "J. Lane"
wrote:

Isn't garlic a two year crop? Plant in the fall of year one, leave the next
year and pull up in the late summer the year after that? If you pull it a
year after planting all you get is 1 clove, but if you wait another year the
clove multiplies.

I was reading "Growing Great Garlic", a great book by Washington state
farmer Ron Engelland (sp?). In it, he says the rocambole types and
other stiffnecks require a fairly long freezing period, something
places like Gilroy, CA cannot provide. He kind of relished the fact
that warmer areas could not grow the hardier stiffneck types such as
his Spanish Roja. However, he says softneck silverskin types are much
more appropriate for warmer areas.

As an aside, growing "large" garlic is a demanding process. It
requires rich soil heavy in nitrogen, full sun and plenty of water
(but not sopping, so in a raised bed). Mulching and keeping weeds
down is also of vital importance.

Dan

Old 12-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:04:16 -0400, J. Lane wrote:

Hey Wrighty,
Isn't garlic a two year crop? Plant in the fall of year one, leave the
next year and pull up in the late summer the year after that? If you
pull it a year after planting all you get is 1 clove, but if you wait
another year the clove multiplies.

Wrong. Plant one clove get whole bulb all in one year, actually less than
a year. Plant in fall, dig up the following July when foliage dies.

I've been doing it the past 4 years.

[IMG] code is On

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Can one prune a Forsythia to death? DKSRich United Kingdom 2 16-03-2003 11:44 AM
[IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death) David J. Bockman Bonsai 7 01-02-2003 01:18 PM
Pear Tree Death Nick Maclaren Edible Gardening 10 25-01-2003 05:52 AM
N.Cal: County pushes for collective voice on sudden oak death Lion Kuntz alt.forestry 0 24-11-2002 06:02 PM