Old 12-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Me

Default fescue re-seeding

What is the best time of year to re-seed parts of my fescue lawn? I tried a
few weeks ago and nothing grew.
I'm in the San Fernando Valley in LA, and it's been in the low to mid 90's
for several weeks. I've had direct sun every day.

Thanks

Old 13-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Chris Owens

Me wrote:

What is the best time of year to re-seed parts of my fescue lawn? I tried a
few weeks ago and nothing grew.
I'm in the San Fernando Valley in LA, and it's been in the low to mid 90's
for several weeks. I've had direct sun every day.

Thanks

Attempting to seed a lawn in high summer is one of the most
futile efforts I can imagine . . . grass is normally dormant at
that point. The very best time is late winter / early spring;
just before the spring thaw, if you have one. That's when grass
seed sprouts naturally. Alternatively, you can reseed in the
fall and either get good growth established before winter by
diligent attention or just let the seed lay until spring when it
will cheerfully sprout.

Chris Owens

Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Phisherman

I have overseeded in October, with some light snowfall shortly after.
Fescue does not mind the cooler temperatures, in fact, it helps keep
it moist. Right now, the intense sun could easily burn the seedlings.
I saw dramatic results in a much thicker lawn by overseeding the
previous fall. Definately protect with straw.