Old 14-08-2003, 09:42 PM
BroJack

Default Lawn Tractor Question

Run the 18 HP Cub Cadet 90 minutes, take a break for an hour, then the
Cub won't start, regardless of whether I use full choke, partial
choke, or no choke. Battery is OK. Next day, tractor starts fine, no
problems.

Is the engine still overheated after a one-hour rest? Any tips.

Thanx,
Jack
Old 14-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Bill and Nancy Weiler

BroJack wrote:
Run the 18 HP Cub Cadet 90 minutes, take a break for an hour, then the
Cub won't start, regardless of whether I use full choke, partial
choke, or no choke. Battery is OK. Next day, tractor starts fine, no
problems.

Is the engine still overheated after a one-hour rest? Any tips.

Thanx,
Jack

I just had that exact thing happen with my 20hp Cadet. After MUCH work,
the repair people discovered it was a "bad coil" or something which when
heated up failed and when cooled way down was OK. I was told that they
had to pull the engine to get at it so the repair bill was pretty high.
Assuming no shenanigans (sp?), they did a fine job and I consider the
$ worth it. The machine is over 15 years old and runs like a top!

Bill

--
Bill and Nancy Weiler
Tony, Wisconsin

Old 15-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Beecrofter

Bill and Nancy Weiler wrote in message ...
BroJack wrote:
Run the 18 HP Cub Cadet 90 minutes, take a break for an hour, then the
Cub won't start, regardless of whether I use full choke, partial
choke, or no choke. Battery is OK. Next day, tractor starts fine, no
problems.

Is the engine still overheated after a one-hour rest? Any tips.

Thanx,
Jack

I just had that exact thing happen with my 20hp Cadet. After MUCH work,
the repair people discovered it was a "bad coil" or something which when
heated up failed and when cooled way down was OK. I was told that they
had to pull the engine to get at it so the repair bill was pretty high.
Assuming no shenanigans (sp?), they did a fine job and I consider the
$ worth it. The machine is over 15 years old and runs like a top!

Bill

Yep classic bad coil symptoms, check the spark when you have the non
starting problems. You want fat blue not skinny yellow.
Old 18-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Stormin Mormon

Since you are having troubles when hot, it would be wise to do a couple
things. First, only use use high quality motor oil in your engine. Name
brand stuff, not the department store brand.

Second, pull the motor cover off, and clean the flywheel and the fins around
the spark plug. Air flow across the head (around the spark plug) is
essential to cooling the engine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news.com...

Old 19-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Chip Stein

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
Since you are having troubles when hot, it would be wise to do a couple
things. First, only use use high quality motor oil in your engine. Name
brand stuff, not the department store brand.

Second, pull the motor cover off, and clean the flywheel and the fins around
the spark plug. Air flow across the head (around the spark plug) is
essential to cooling the engine.

more than likely an ignition coil. resistance goes up with heat.
check the spark when it dies. after the problem is isolated then look
for the cause.
there's a lot of advice out here but if you try everything at once
you'll never know what fixed it.
Chip
Old 26-08-2003, 07:42 PM
jim

BroJack wrote:

Run the 18 HP Cub Cadet 90 minutes, take a break for an hour, then the
Cub won't start, regardless of whether I use full choke, partial
choke, or no choke. Battery is OK. Next day, tractor starts fine, no
problems.

Is the engine still overheated after a one-hour rest? Any tips.

Thanx,
Jack

are you getting fire to the spark plug when its hot like this???? alot
of times with a hot engine the coil will not put out voltage.. years ago
you could take a 99 cents can of freon(R-12) and shoot it onto the coil
to cool it down and it would start right up.. just like the radio
technicians do with small spray can to spray on electronic parts to see
if the heat is messing up on components that dont work.. i dont know
what is used not to cool off the bad electronics parts to test it for
heat problems.... do you have a CO-2 fire extinguisher so you could
spray it(the coil) to see if it starts up with the coil cooled off????
hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 AM
jim

BroJack wrote:

Run the 18 HP Cub Cadet 90 minutes, take a break for an hour, then the
Cub won't start, regardless of whether I use full choke, partial
choke, or no choke. Battery is OK. Next day, tractor starts fine, no
problems.

Is the engine still overheated after a one-hour rest? Any tips.

Thanx,
Jack

check and see if you are getting any fire(spark) from the spark plug
wire after it kills and wont start...that is where i would look first..
it might be the coil heating up and doing that...if thats OK then you
check the spark plug(a spark plug that is contaminated with deposits
will start up fine and glow when hot and act like its firing all the
time and not let the engine run at all.. once the engine cools down the
spark plug will cool down and act OK and the engine will run fine until
it heats up and do the same thing again.. we had a car back in the 50's
that did that once a week on our trip to the park.. my dads car would
conk out in the same spot each trip.. wait an hour and start right up..