Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Allview

Default Anyone know how to make poppers?

I'm growing "Mucho Nacho" jalapenos. Do I pick them when they are the right
size or when they have a little black on top? Does anyone know how to make
poppers to freeze? My favorite snack. (Poppers are jalapenos stuffed with
cream cheese, breaded and deep fried.)

Marilyn in Ohio

Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
BLueCoBra

Try a 'stuffed jalapenos' search at cooks.com, you'll get a nice variety of
recipes and ideas you've never thought of.

BLueCoBra
--
A computer once beat in a game of chess.
But it was no match for me in kick boxing.

Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Marley1372

Poppers are easy to make, but the ones you get at resturants are made with
pickled jalapenos. The pickling makes them a little softer for biting into and
makes them alot milder. Basically, you cut the tops off of them, get the crap
out of the inside, fill it with cream cheese. Then you dip the suckers in a
mixture of beaten eggs with a little bit of milk. Next roll them in flour,
then in breadcrumbs. Pop them in the fryer at about 375 to 400 for a few
minutes. If you are using fresh jalapenos they will be WAY hotter than the
ones you are used to but should still be tasty. now all ya need is some of
that wierd hot berry sauce and youre all set

Toad
Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
B & J

"Allview" wrote in message
I'm growing "Mucho Nacho" jalapenos. Do I pick them when they are the

right
size or when they have a little black on top? Does anyone know how to

make
poppers to freeze? My favorite snack. (Poppers are jalapenos stuffed

with
cream cheese, breaded and deep fried.)

Marilyn in Ohio

Here's our recipe, Marilyn:

PEPPER POPPERS

1 pkg. (8 oz.) lite cream cheese (or regular), softened
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded Monterey jack cheese
6 bacon strips cooked and crumbled (eight is fine)
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ c. dry bread crumbs
1 lb. jalapenos or Hungarian (hot bananas -14) peppers halved and seeded

In a mixing bowl combine the cheese, bacon and seasonings; mix well. Spoon
mixture into each pepper half. Roll in bread crumbs. Place on greased pan.
Bake, uncovered, 300 degrees for 20 min for spicy flavor, 30 min. for
medium, and 40 min. for mild. (don't have a recipe for deep fried)

We're chicken and use hot Hungarians rather than the jalapenos along with
the longest baking time. Even so, they're great. As a bonus, the baked
peppers freeze and reheat well in the oven for later use.

Give them a try - They're fantastic!

John

Old 22-08-2003, 02:02 PM
pelirojaroja

We've had success breading morel mushrooms and freezing them. (We pick them
by the bushel-full in rural Iowa timber every year.) Dip them in egg, and
then roll in cracker crumbs and freeze separately on a cookie sheet before
placing in zipper bags. Then, we can fry them straight from the freezer.

I'm sure you could do poppers the same way. Making me hungry!

--
-- pelirojaroja
"There is a garden in every childhood,

-- Elizabeth Lawrence
"Jack Straw" wrote in message
(Allview):

I'm growing "Mucho Nacho" jalapenos. Do I pick them when they are the

right
size or when they have a little black on top? Does anyone know how to

make
poppers to freeze? My favorite snack. (Poppers are jalapenos stuffed

with
cream cheese, breaded and deep fried.)

I saw a post down the thread that suggested that restaurants use
picked jalapenos. That may be true, kind of like the wet-packed
mushrooms.

We made them from fresh peppers once and they were *insanely*
hot. I mean it, they were some seriously hot peppers -- not even
the same idea of hot that you'd expect from a restaurant.

Just my anecdote.

--
JackStraw
0x3D561045

Old 22-08-2003, 07:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Jack Straw wrote:

(Allview):

I'm growing "Mucho Nacho" jalapenos. Do I pick them when they are the right
size or when they have a little black on top? Does anyone know how to make
poppers to freeze? My favorite snack. (Poppers are jalapenos stuffed with
cream cheese, breaded and deep fried.)

or other cheese mixes--cheedar, colby, monterey. A restaurant here
does Chorizo (think spanish pepperoni) and grilled cajun shrimp diced
up.
I saw a post down the thread that suggested that restaurants use
picked jalapenos. That may be true, kind of like the wet-packed
mushrooms.

I wonder how much work pickling is...

We made them from fresh peppers once and they were *insanely*
hot. I mean it, they were some seriously hot peppers -- not even
the same idea of hot that you'd expect from a restaurant.

It does makes sense. People always say remove the ribbing and seeds
will cool it down, but it is always a far cry hotter than restaurant
jalapenos or those we get pickled in jars in the supermarket.

I love spicy food but if my mouth is going to be numb, it eliminates
actually tasting the food.

Anybody know of a breed of Jalapeno that is mild enough to make
poppers for normal people?
I saw some mild Anchos which look like they could be stuffed, but they
don't have that natural buld-shape.

BTW
I had my first error with hot peppers. Used some frozen beef & bean
burritos, sliced jalapenos, an anaheim, and a cayenne(rib removed),
added shredded cheese, some Cholula sauce and heated up (sour cream
added afterwards). Unfortunately it is very hot outside today and I
was sweating in the kitchen. The paper towel I used to wipe my
forehead must have always wiped the countertop. My forehead was on
fire for ten minutes. I washed it and wiped it repeatedly. It felt
like really bad sunburn--where you feel the heat steaming off your
skin, or having applied way too much IcyHot.

Just my anecdote.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 22-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:36:36 GMT, Jack Straw
wrote:

(Allview):

I'm growing "Mucho Nacho" jalapenos. Do I pick them when they are the right
size or when they have a little black on top? Does anyone know how to make
poppers to freeze? My favorite snack. (Poppers are jalapenos stuffed with
cream cheese, breaded and deep fried.)

I saw a post down the thread that suggested that restaurants use
picked jalapenos. That may be true, kind of like the wet-packed
mushrooms.

We made them from fresh peppers once and they were *insanely*
hot. I mean it, they were some seriously hot peppers -- not even
the same idea of hot that you'd expect from a restaurant.

As I understand it from other discussions, the main problem is getting
batter to stick to the slick jalapeno skin. Roughing up with sandpaper
has been suggested. And of course, roasting and skinning before
battering/breading would do, too.

Search Google for
"jalapeno poppers" recipe