Old 26-08-2003, 10:42 AM
JNJ

Default Need to hold back some soil....

Our property sits in a hill. The house sits back from the street about 50
feet and a good 10 feet higher than the street level. Right behind the
house is a 3-4 foot tall retaining wall and about 10 feet behind that begins
the hill that leads to the far back where there's an 8 foot tall retaining
wall and more hills following (mostly woods and such, owned by the city).

At the base of the open hill (i.e., the 10 foot beyond the 3-4 foot tall
retaining wall) there was a partial retaining wall of about 2 feet in
height. It was made out of old stone and had just crumbled due to age so we
took the rest of it down. I'd like to just grade this area a bit, similar
to the other side of the yard that did NOT have a retaining wall, and plant
something interesting in it that will hold back the soil, add a little flair
and maybe some color, you know the gist.

The area gets late morning through late afternoon sun so whatever goes there
would have to be a sun lover. We're in Zone 6. I'm looking for some tips
on grading as well -- this is my first stab at doing anything much in the
way of grading soil (well ok, clay mostly) so I'm open to suggestions. This
area borders a concrete and dirt patio space that I further intend to cover
over with a wood deck next spring.

James

Old 26-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Bill Oliver

In article , JNJ wrote:

[snip]

I'd like to just grade this area a bit, similar
to the other side of the yard that did NOT have a retaining wall, and plant
something interesting in it that will hold back the soil, add a little flair
and maybe some color, you know the gist.

[snip]

What about a perennial variety of vetch? That's what I planted on a slope
and it worked great for stopping erosion. It's a bit invasive, so you need
to border it.

billo

Old 03-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Chris Owens

JNJ wrote:

[...]

Get a professional to do the grading; it'll be worth the cost.
Grading is physically arduous to do by hand; grading with a
machine on a hill is not for amateurs. There are lots of hardy
perennials that are good at holding soil and can give you some
interesting flowers. Shasta daisy, daylily, monarda, echinacea,
oenothera, lupines, and iris are all plants that I've used for
this from time to time. With a nice mixed border, you could have
something almost always in bloom.

Chris Owens