Old 10-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Webfoot

Default Onion bags to hold bio media?

Hi
I been lurking here for several years but this is the first time my
question hansen't been answered by just reading the posts.

I plan on going to the dollar store to buy various kinds of bio media.
I want to put this in mesh bags of some sort to make it easier to
clean. Will the red mesh bags that you buy onions in at the grocery
store work? I don't want to have a pond full of red fibers next month.

Thanks
Russell Mack

Old 10-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Mosfunland

Hey while you're at the dollar store pick up one or two of their mesh laundry
bags....they might work better....they have draw string and zipper types.

Maureen (who loves the dollar store...or should I say the 15 dollar store)

I plan on going to the dollar store to buy various kinds of bio media

Old 10-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Gale Pearce

Yep - they work fine, but need to be replaced or a new bag put over the old
one after a few years as the mesh openings get larger from washing the media
out - but you won't get any red fibers in your pond, I haven't in 10 years -
I use the large 50 lb size - If you live near where they grow onions or
produce you can get them for ~50 cents each - takes about 5 or 6 for a 45
gal barrel - if you don't fill them too full, it is easier to rinse the
media out with a power washer or just a hose with a strong stream of water
Gale :~)

Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Lee B.

I usually buy the mesh laundry bags at WalMart; they're 2' x 3' and are less
than $5.00. If you can find the black ones, or the dark green ones, they're
the easiest to "hide". The others have a tendency to stay bright. As far as
onion bags are concerned, it depends: some of them will work, and some are
biodegradable (which WON'T work!) The laundry bags are a tad larger than
what is usually sold for media bags (at twice the money!). If they're too
large, just fold them over! I've got some that still look new after 3 years
of constant use, so it's worth the $$.

Lee

Old 10-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Barbara2245

Webfoot wrote in message . ..
Hi
I been lurking here for several years but this is the first time my
question hansen't been answered by just reading the posts.

I plan on going to the dollar store to buy various kinds of bio media.
I want to put this in mesh bags of some sort to make it easier to
clean. Will the red mesh bags that you buy onions in at the grocery
store work? I don't want to have a pond full of red fibers next month.

Thanks
Russell Mack

It has been several years now that I have used the bags from onions,
flower bulbs and bath scrubbers. I don't like tree netting. Happy
water gardening.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Andrew Burgess

I plan on going to the dollar store to buy various kinds of bio media.
I want to put this in mesh bags of some sort to make it easier to
clean. Will the red mesh bags that you buy onions in at the grocery
store work? I don't want to have a pond full of red fibers next month.

The two 'tests' I can think of are to burn it and see if it burns like
plastic, and boil it and see if it decomposes.

HTH

PS I've read that some plastic kitchen scrubbers have mold inhibitors in/on
them so you might want to avoid them. I'm thinking of using plastic fencing
in my new filter.

Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
Good bio media for retaining area that can be seen. Mickey Ponds 1 08-09-2003 03:04 AM
Media Bags Doug Ponds 9 11-03-2003 04:44 PM
bio filter media lee Ponds 2 03-03-2003 09:07 PM