Old 13-09-2003, 05:12 AM
mmarteen

Default when to plant daffs? Zone 4a

I just got a notice that the daffs I ordered a month ago from Dutch Bulb
company is shipping, direct from the supplier in Holland. So I can expect
them in a couple of weeks.

Are there any other zone 4a's out there with rules of thumb for when to
plant bulbs? I've heard that you should wait for two weeks of night temps
in the 40-50 F range but most of the falls that I can remember since I
arrived in Minnesota 8 years ago were pretty zig zag in terms of the temps.
I think it was last fall that we had temps in the teens then it shot back up
to the 50s and 60s. I realize that nothing is for sure but has anyone had
success using a particular plan? When are you thinking of planting your
bulbs this year?

mm

Old 13-09-2003, 05:42 AM
fran

Plant as soon as possible when they arrive. Most shippers time the
arrival for the best average planting time for your area. I'm in
zone 7 and have planted spring bulbs anywhere from end of September to
December.

Old 14-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Carolyn LeCrone

As long as daffodils and other spring blooming bulbs get 8-12 weeks of
cooling winter temperatures they will bloom.
Carolyn
news

Old 14-09-2003, 05:42 AM
mmarteen

I guess I am more afraid of a warm spell causing them to start growing early
rather than not getting enough cold winter weather.

mm

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in message
As long as daffodils and other spring blooming bulbs get 8-12 weeks of
cooling winter temperatures they will bloom.
Carolyn
news

Old 15-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "mmarteen"
wrote:

I just got a notice that the daffs I ordered a month ago from Dutch Bulb
company is shipping, direct from the supplier in Holland. So I can expect
them in a couple of weeks.

Are there any other zone 4a's out there with rules of thumb for when to
plant bulbs? I've heard that you should wait for two weeks of night temps
in the 40-50 F range but most of the falls that I can remember since I
arrived in Minnesota 8 years ago were pretty zig zag in terms of the temps.
I think it was last fall that we had temps in the teens then it shot back up
to the 50s and 60s. I realize that nothing is for sure but has anyone had
success using a particular plan? When are you thinking of planting your
bulbs this year?

mm

Plant them as soon as you get them. You want them to develop some roots
but not shoots, before winter hits. Mulch them before freeze-up.

Put a bit of bonemeal in each planting hole.

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3/4, depending on global warming