Old 14-09-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Bulbs out of season

All,

I bought some really pretty bulbs from the local hardware store and
would like to see them bloom in my indoor garden in fall or winter.
The package says that these bulbs perform well in semi shade to shade
conditions. Is it possible to make bulbs bloom out of season? How
does one go about doing this? I would be willing to invest in
fluorescent lighting if necessary.

Peter

Old 14-09-2003, 08:02 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Frankhartx) wrote:

From:
)

I bought some really pretty bulbs from the local hardware store and
would like to see them bloom in my indoor garden in fall or winter.
The package says that these bulbs perform well in semi shade to shade
conditions. Is it possible to make bulbs bloom out of season? How

Do a search for bulbs forcing and you will find all you want to know about the
subject and more.

As Frankhartx noted, if you do a google.com search on "forcing bulbs"
you'll find instructions, & lists of the sorts of bulbs this is easily
done with. It won't work for just anything; it works especially well at a
nearly fool-proof level for beginners with numerous kinds of narciccuses.
When the bulbs are spent, though, they alas need to be thrown away, as
forcing is a depleting process & if you afterword put them out in the
garden, the chances of their ever performing well would be very slim.

Depending on your zone there ARE options for winter blooms that are
natural in the garden. There are winter-blooming irises, autumn- and
winter-blooming crocuses, winter-blooming cyclamens, kaffir lilies, & even
some general "spring" bulbs include some varieties of narcissus & "snow
crocuses" for examples that get so far ahead of themselves they're
actually blooming in January.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 16-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Chris Owens

" wrote:

All,

I bought some really pretty bulbs from the local hardware store and
would like to see them bloom in my indoor garden in fall or winter.
The package says that these bulbs perform well in semi shade to shade
conditions. Is it possible to make bulbs bloom out of season? How
does one go about doing this? I would be willing to invest in
fluorescent lighting if necessary.

Peter

What kind of bulbs? In general, spring bulbs need a period of
cold; summer and fall ones do not, but they typically need
dormancy.

Chris Owens