Old 17-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Marc

Default I have a questioon about creating a pseudo-bog.

These a low spot on the side of my house that gets a lot of standing water
during the spring or whenever we get allot of rain but also alto of sun.
But during the rest of the year it stays pretty dry . I have a sump pump
that discharges close to there and the waste water from my washing machine
can be piped there to keep a more continuous moisture level. The sump
discharge is not a problem - I know - but the soap and bleach could at time
be a problem. Should I let these discharge above the bog and then let
nature take it course? For know I'm going with Louisiana Iris and ginger
lilies maybe some cardinal flowers and go from there any suggestions?

Zone 7

Marc

Old 18-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Zemedelec

I think there are some varieties of canna that will grow in a swamp. Take a
look at catalogues for water gardens.
zemedelec
Old 18-09-2003, 10:22 AM
groovy

"dkat" wrote in message
et...
Don't suppose you could give up using Chlorine bleach?
DK
"Marc" wrote in message
hlink.net...
These a low spot on the side of my house that gets a lot of standing

water
during the spring or whenever we get allot of rain but also alto of sun.
But during the rest of the year it stays pretty dry . I have a sump

pump
that discharges close to there and the waste water from my washing

machine
can be piped there to keep a more continuous moisture level. The sump
discharge is not a problem - I know - but the soap and bleach could at

time
be a problem. Should I let these discharge above the bog and then let
nature take it course? For know I'm going with Louisiana Iris and

ginger
lilies maybe some cardinal flowers and go from there any suggestions?

You might like to switch to a biodegradeable powder (Ecover in Europe?)
and let the waste water stand for a while in a barrel before discharging
into
your bog area. The soapy water I put on my garden does no harm, but thats
just hand soap without any anti-bacterial action.

Old 18-09-2003, 02:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Marc" wrote in message thlink.net...
These a low spot on the side of my house that gets a lot of standing water
during the spring or whenever we get allot of rain but also alto of sun.
But during the rest of the year it stays pretty dry . I have a sump pump
that discharges close to there and the waste water from my washing machine
can be piped there to keep a more continuous moisture level. The sump
discharge is not a problem - I know - but the soap and bleach could at time
be a problem. Should I let these discharge above the bog and then let
nature take it course? For know I'm going with Louisiana Iris and ginger
lilies maybe some cardinal flowers and go from there any suggestions?

Creating a permanent patch of stagnant water may not be a good idea if
you live where West Nile virus has spread. There's no point in
providing mosquitoes with more places to breed.

J. Del Col

Old 18-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Beecrofter

"Marc" wrote in message thlink.net...
These a low spot on the side of my house that gets a lot of standing water
during the spring or whenever we get allot of rain but also alto of sun.
But during the rest of the year it stays pretty dry . I have a sump pump
that discharges close to there and the waste water from my washing machine
can be piped there to keep a more continuous moisture level. The sump
discharge is not a problem - I know - but the soap and bleach could at time
be a problem. Should I let these discharge above the bog and then let
nature take it course? For know I'm going with Louisiana Iris and ginger
lilies maybe some cardinal flowers and go from there any suggestions?

Zone 7

Marc

Greywater needs to be widely distributed to minimize damage, I believe
it would be a poor choice for the bog.
Old 20-09-2003, 06:22 AM
dkat

Do a web search on "wetlands sewage treatment gray water". How much room do
you have? The way I have seen natural sewage treatment work is that you run
the dirtiest water into the hardiest plants and that water filters through
them to the next level.

http://www.davidtrump.com/reedbed_in...tion_page.html
http://www.idepfoundation.org/default_site/wwg2.htm
http://www.holon.se/folke/written/st....shtml#Outline

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...

thlink.net...

Old 14-10-2003, 02:42 AM
David Ross

Marc wrote:
=

These a low spot on the side of my house that gets a lot of standing wa=

ter
during the spring or whenever we get allot of rain but also alto of sun=

=2E
But during the rest of the year it stays pretty dry . I have a sump pu=

mp
that discharges close to there and the waste water from my washing mach=

ine
can be piped there to keep a more continuous moisture level. The sump
discharge is not a problem - I know - but the soap and bleach could at =

time
be a problem. Should I let these discharge above the bog and then let
nature take it course? For know I'm going with Louisiana Iris and ging=

er
lilies maybe some cardinal flowers and go from there any suggestions?

Although your climate is different from Montreal, you might try
contacting the Montr=E9al Botanical Garden (Jardin botanique). They
have a very nice bog garden section. Their English language Web
site is at http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin/en/menu.htm. =

-- =

David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Sunset Zone: 19 -- interior Santa Monica Mountains with some ocean
influence (USDA 10a)

[IMG] code is On

Pseudo Acacia Dave United Kingdom 0 10-06-2007 01:29 PM
Dendrobium pseudo-glomeratum 1 P Max Orchid Photos 1 03-02-2007 08:06 PM
pseudo bulbs eeyore Orchids 7 03-01-2007 12:47 AM
pseudo-bricks/stone for wall Heidi North Carolina 0 06-02-2004 03:47 PM
I have a questioon about creating a pseudo-bog. dkat Ponds 2 20-09-2003 06:23 AM