Old 24-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Mceezee

Default Tomatoes just making flowers

I put my tomato plants in late this year (mid June). They were in the pots
until then and doing well.

I am in zone 7 - I am just getting flowers on the plants. I doubt they will
still make tomatoes or if they do, they probably won't taste as good as summer
ones.

Has anyone else had late tomatoes and if so, how were they?
Old 25-09-2003, 05:09 AM
B & J

"Mceezee" wrote in message

I put my tomato plants in late this year (mid June). They were in the

pots
until then and doing well.

I am in zone 7 - I am just getting flowers on the plants. I doubt they

will
still make tomatoes or if they do, they probably won't taste as good as

summer
ones.

Has anyone else had late tomatoes and if so, how were they?

I always have tomatoes into November, and they taste good. They may not be
quite as good as the first ones I get in mid July, but any home grown tomato
is fantastic compared to those plastic things available in stores which
taste like cardboard and cost a fortune. The only thing store tomatoes are
good for is to add color - very anemic color at that - to a salad. If an
indeterminate tomato is planted in the spring, cared for, watered, and
fertilized throughout the summer, it will continue to produce until a hard
frost. I often get mine through the early frosts by covering and keep them
producing throughout the fall. It's worth my time.

You certainly should have no problem getting good tasting tomatoes in zone 7
in the fall.

John