Old 16-07-2003, 06:09 AM
harold steig

Default Making sun-dried tomatoes

Glenna
The dried tomatoes sound great. How thick do you slice them and how long are
they in the dehydrator before they are done ? Is onr type of tomato better
than another for this ?
Harold
"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d0941019f6e7a3b9aca0054c5e1ce.19f6ec0@p mug.org...
writes:
As I understand it sun drying tomatoes (or any fruit) is a race to get
them dehydrated before the mould and fungus take over.

Has anybody sun-dried their own tomatoes or worked where they do it?
What conditions of sunshine and humidity are required and how long does
it take?

Conversely, has anybody tried it and the mould won? What were your
conditions?

David

I do a combination of sun and dehydrator. I will slice the tomatoes onto
the dehydrator racks and set them outside on a hot day (in the sun) to
lose the bulk of the moisture. Even covering them with a lightweight
towel (to protect them from bugs, dust, etc.) doesn't seem to overly
hinder them though some type of screening would be much better. Late in
the day, in come the racks to the dehydrator to finish. They could also
finish in the oven on a low heat if you don't have a dehydrator. The
first year I was here, I invested in a good dehydrator and have never been
sorry. One of my future projects will be to build a much larger
dehydrator with the love we have for the dried tomatoes! (Just like
candy, only healthy!)

And, no, never had any mold. I doubt there would be any if they never
went into the dehydrator if they really are dried in the sun on hot
(translate: low-humid) days. They dry out remarkably quickly.

Glenna

Old 17-07-2003, 12:39 AM
len

Please let me step in, about a 1/4 inch, maybe a little less. I have used
better boy, and celebrity. I don't know why you couldn't use any tomato.
they do taste good, really concentrated. Len

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Dried Tomatoes Pete Australia 1 09-12-2005 09:56 AM
Making sun-dried tomatoes David Hare-Scott Edible Gardening 5 22-07-2003 12:12 PM
Re(2): Making sun-dried tomatoes Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 16-07-2003 07:27 AM
Storing sun-dried tomatoes Adam Schwartz Gardening 4 15-07-2003 01:32 PM