Old 18-07-2003, 10:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Making sun-dried tomatoes

As I understand it sun drying tomatoes (or any fruit) is a race to get
them dehydrated before the mould and fungus take over.

Has anybody sun-dried their own tomatoes or worked where they do it?
What conditions of sunshine and humidity are required and how long does
it take?

Conversely, has anybody tried it and the mould won? What were your
conditions?

David

Old 21-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Peggy Elliott

I do it every year with my Romas. I slice them and put them on a plate in
the microwave and nuke them on very low (1 or 2) for a long time (half hour
or more) until they look like sundried tomatoes. Check on them every five
minutes towards the end so they don't get overcooked. Then I store them in
olive oil in the fridge. Yummy!!
-Peg

Old 22-07-2003, 03:48 AM
David Hare-Scott

Thanks for the idea. I was particularly interested in trying to do it
by sunshine. I will be starting up a new garden in a new district and
(over) planting many varieties to test which ones do the best there.
Unless I have several outright failures the chances are I will have far
more than we (or the neighbours) can eat fresh. We will bottle lots but
the supply of bottles is always limited.

My problem with sun-drying is that in the late summer when you have a
glut of tomatoes the weather tends to be quite humid here, which will
slow down drying and increase the chance of moulds growing.

I may have to use an oven anyway.

I wonder if the method of drying affects the flavour? Any thoughts?

David

Old 22-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

David Hare-Scott said:

My problem with sun-drying is that in the late summer when you have a
glut of tomatoes the weather tends to be quite humid here, which will
slow down drying and increase the chance of moulds growing.

I may have to use an oven anyway.

I wonder if the method of drying affects the flavour? Any thoughts?

I use a dehydrator to dry my tomatoes. They taste better than the fancy
imported sun-dried tomatoes I've bought, IMO. (Maybe it's because I start
with better tomatoes, and mine would be even better if only I could sun dry
them.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Dried Tomatoes Pete Australia 1 09-12-2005 09:56 AM
Making sun-dried tomatoes harold steig Edible Gardening 1 17-07-2003 12:39 AM
Re(2): Making sun-dried tomatoes Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 16-07-2003 07:27 AM
Storing sun-dried tomatoes Adam Schwartz Gardening 4 15-07-2003 01:32 PM