Old 25-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Andrea Bostrom

Default Poppies ?

Any advice re growing poppies ? NO not the naughty ones. I am in zone 6 and
have always admired the delicacy of this flower.

Andrea
Andrea

Old 25-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Ali

If your existing poppies are starting to drop seeds, (We're talking about
the annuals, right?) just snap off the seed heads, shake them out wherever
you want them to come up next year and don't disturb the soil there too
much. If you don't have them in your garden to harvest from, but you know
locally they are dropping seeds, get some and do the same thing as mentioned
above.

Hope that helps,

Ali

Old 25-09-2003, 09:42 AM
gregpresley

Poppies can be planted now until the end of October in zone 6, or again in
late February thru the end of March on disturbed (roughed up) soil. They
can be sown on top of melting snow in late winter and often sprout very
well. Poppies sown after May usually do poorly because they need to make a
strong root system before the soil and air get too warm. Many kinds seem to
need some cold weather or frost to break open the seed coat and help them to
sprout. Shirley Poppies are the most delicate of the annual varieties. Their
seeds are not expensive, and if sown at the right time, most will germinate.
Mix them with sand before sowing because the seeds are so tiny you might sow
500 in a one square foot area - which would be a few too many.......

Old 28-09-2003, 01:02 AM
PoopyHed

Andrea Bostrom wrote:

Any advice re growing poppies ? NO not the naughty ones. I am in zone 6 and
have always admired the delicacy of this flower.

In zone 6 you'll want to plant in the late fall or early winter. Just sprinkle
them on the ground.. An old salt shaker is a really good planter. If you have
ants anywhere nearby, you'll want to mix a little ant poison in with the seeds
because they little *******s will walk off with half your seeds if you don't. No
need to cover the seeds, just keep them damp for the first couple weeks.

--
The lowest prices on PoppySeed
http://www.poppyseed.org

[IMG] code is On

Yellow & Orange Poppies Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 12:47 AM
Californian Poppies JennyC United Kingdom 2 12-10-2003 05:42 PM
Blue Poppies & Moss Nancy Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM
good companion for poppies? Penny S. Gardening 5 10-04-2003 04:08 AM
Poppies from Seed Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 17 08-03-2003 04:44 AM