Old 27-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Roy

Default OT- Generators

I would not think that is a really a problem. You could liive on the
top of a mountain anbd have a tree fall on your propane tank as well.
Just how did a propane tank contaminate waterways. If the water is up
that high, then odds are your gen set is also in water, and no matter
what powers it, its history.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:57:37 -0400, "Betsy" -0 wrote:

x-Not necessarily. If the generator is sited outside as the propane canisters
x-will be, you may be in for a surprise. Lots of people here in Baltimore
x-have contaminated houses, wells, & local waterways due to propane tanks that
x-broke loose & floated away.
x-
x- With NG or propane you will not have this problem, and your time
x- between oil changes will also increase as it has nbo hydrocarbons
x- getting by the piston rings to contaminate the oil and make it black.
x- NG or LPG is best for long term permanent generator setups if you can
x- afford it. HOnda is quieter tha most. A 30# or 100# bottle of propane
x- will be there when you need it, ddress
x-

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Old 27-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Roy

Just becasue its diesel doe snot mean the fuel will last longer. Here
in the south microbs anbd bacteria, and algae grows in stored diesel
in just a few months. It causes filters to block and injectors to
clog, and is actually harder to remedy than stale gas is.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:21:05 -0400, Dwight Sipler
wrote:

x-Another thought or two:
x-
x-Since (presumably) the system will be inoperative for months at a time,
x-you might consider a diesel system instead of gasoline-based. The diesel
x-fuel will keep better than gas, is readily available and is safer to
x-store.
x-
x-Someone mentioned that their propane tanks floated away. Of course your
x-gasoline or diesel containers would do the same thing. Store them higher
x-than the generator. If they float away, you won't be able to use the
x-generator anyway because it will be under water.
x-
x-Noise from the generator:
x-
x-You're only using it for extended periods of time during emergencies,
x-right? Your neighbors should understand that there's an emergency under
x-way. Maintenance operations will be of short duration and to keep peace
x-with the neighbors, offer to consult with them on their own emergency
x-plan.
x-
x-If everyone in your neighborhood gets a generator, maybe you could set
x-up regular maintenance dates/times so that everyone generates noise at
x-the same time, rather than multiplying annoyances. Your neighbor's
x-generator will be making so much noise that he won't hear yours.

Old 27-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Retiredff

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:57:37 -0400, "Betsy" -0 wrote:

x-Not necessarily. If the generator is sited outside as the
propane canisters x-will be, you may be in for a surprise. Lots
of people here in Baltimore x-have contaminated houses, wells, &
local waterways due to propane tanks that x-broke loose & floated
away.

I think you are mistaking fuel oil tanks for propane tanks.

Old 27-09-2003, 05:42 PM

propane tanks now come with auto cut off if they are disconnected.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

FREE Small Engine Repair Manuals and Tech Support for Lawn Mowers, Generators, Chain Saws and Weed Eaters Michael[_14_] Lawns 0 18-10-2008 07:23 PM
generators Padger United Kingdom 15 02-01-2006 11:28 PM
Mail order generators Frank Gardening 5 02-12-2005 11:43 PM